Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My 60g setup. Work in progress *pics and vids*

I learned pretty quick that linking two rubbermaid containers with overflows going to one and pump in the other was a major bottle-neck in my system. I am running a Mag 18 (1800gph) but with 5ft head loss im getting 1200gph.

I decided to ditch these containers and build an acrylic sump.

Both my overflows are 1.5" and they can barely keep up with my mag at full throttle. I notice that I am flowing lots of water but the water pressure coming out of the 3/4" return pipes from my mag18 is sad.

I was expecting 10x more pressure than this. I get a little more flow without the filter on the pump but not much more. I was hoping this pump would allow me to ditch my maxijet 1200's but I dont think I can do without them.

Overflow Video

Overflow Video 2

are u planning on putting strainers on the overflows?

yea the tank doesnt look like its getting much flow... have u thought of doing a MJ1200 mod for extra flow... those mod will kick some serious ass in that tank.

to get some more pressure try reducing the size of the return pipe after the 't'. by using the same size pipe as the feed ( (2) x 3/4" being feed by (1) 3/4" ) you are doubling the cross sectional area of the pipe thereby reducing pressure. basically the way the pump sees it, you have gone from 3/4" pipe to just over 1" pipe. using smaller pipe will give you more pressure at the cost of more head loss but if you don't think your overflows can keep up ... ( 1200 gph through a sump is quite a bit, the recommended flow through a sump is 3 - 5 times the display tank volume )

one 1 1/2" overflow can handle 1200 gph, you have two. i think if you provide some venting for your overflows they will preform better. luckily you have those clean out plugs on the 't's. if you remove the plug and insert a pipe that reaches above the tank ( just to make sure you don't get a flood ), this will allow the air that is getting sucked in to escape and allow the water to flow much better. ricepicker makes a good point about putting strainers on the overflows. something will find it's way down there, they always do.

i hope some of theses ideas can help you. i don't know if you did the setup yourself but it looks very well done. a beautiful picture window of pure heaven :biggrinbo

i suppose you could try a reducer in the return elbows ( in the tank ), this may work for increasing the pressure. ( i don't want you to have to rip it all apart when you just got it running )
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    are u planning on putting strainers on the overflows?

yea the tank doesnt look like its getting much flow... have u thought of doing a MJ1200 mod for extra flow... those mod will kick some serious ass in that tank.
    Yes I am.

I am also thinking about some surface skimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty
    to get some more pressure try reducing the size of the return pipe after the 't'. by using the same size pipe as the feed ( (2) x 3/4" being feed by (1) 3/4" ) you are doubling the cross sectional area of the pipe thereby reducing pressure. basically the way the pump sees it, you have gone from 3/4" pipe to just over 1" pipe. using smaller pipe will give you more pressure at the cost of more head loss but if you don't think your overflows can keep up ... ( 1200 gph through a sump is quite a bit, the recommended flow through a sump is 3 - 5 times the display tank volume )

one 1 1/2" overflow can handle 1200 gph, you have two. i think if you provide some venting for your overflows they will preform better. luckily you have those clean out plugs on the 't's. if you remove the plug and insert a pipe that reaches above the tank ( just to make sure you don't get a flood ), this will allow the air that is getting sucked in to escape and allow the water to flow much better. ricepicker makes a good point about putting strainers on the overflows. something will find it's way down there, they always do.

i hope some of theses ideas can help you. i don't know if you did the setup yourself but it looks very well done. a beautiful picture window of pure heaven :biggrinbo

i suppose you could try a reducer in the return elbows ( in the tank ), this may work for increasing the pressure. ( i don't want you to have to rip it all apart when you just got it running )
    I think a reducer at the return elbows would do the trick. Thanks for the advice. The whole plan behind the mag18 was to eliminate my maxijet 1200's. Now this is the first time I read that 3-5X the display volume is the recommended flow for a sump. If thats the case I can get myself a mag7 or something for my sump and use this mag18 for a closed loop.

I did all the work myself.

I decided one day to build a custom stand. I bought a brand new table saw then jumped online for some design idea's. I decided to ditch the whole stand idea and build it in my wall. It worked perfect because I could put the tank and equipment in my office closet and the tank can be seen from my open concept living dinning room.

the 3 - 5 times rule is for a dwell time to allow the LR and macro to do there thing. as long you have no bubble problems you can run as much as you want through the sump.

i just had a crazy thought, you could always run one overflow for the sump and the other for a closed loop? ?? ? ? ? just a thought hyeah:

if your making your own sump it sound like you should be able to make an overflow box easy enough, that should help skim the surface.

nice job on the installation, looks very professional ( better than some actually ), i can't wait to see pics of it after the cycle.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

very nice. glad to see it is coming along great. good luck and dont be affraid to ask alot of question. alot of long time reefers on here.

Another way to get more flow from the Mag 18 would be to use larger diameter pipe, then reduce it at the exits. A smaller pipe will make the pump work much much harder and reduce your flow. Mag pumps are not pressure rated, so this is even more true.

Here is a link to a head loss calculator on reef central. Play around with it and see how much of a difference there is in flow between 3/4 pipe and 1.5" pipe on a mag 18. You might be surprised: http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

I have a 90 gallon tank and I use a mag 7 for the sump return, and a gen-x mak 4 (1200gph) on a Oceans Motions squirt for the closed loop and I am very happy with the flow. Using one overflow for the intake to a closed loop with the mag18 and then a mag 7 or something for the sump return would be a great setup for a 60 gallon tank. And you hardly have to change any of your setup. Just put a strainer on the bulkhead.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips guys.

This setup I have will definately change in the next few weeks. I wanted to do it this way temporarily to buy me some time while I build an acrylic sump.

I got some goddies today. :biggrinbo
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

I decided to swap out the mag18 and replace it back with the mag9.5.

I got some strainers today for my overflow from princess auto and its a little more restrictive with them on. The mag18 was creating too much heat also. My temp was at 85 degree's.

No big deal. I will get myself a mag12 for closed loop to eliminate those damn maxijets.
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast