Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I add another fish?

I have a 55 gallon FOWLR (80lbs) and I'm hoping to add 1 more inhabitant. I currently have 5 fish (2 false percs, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 neon Goby, and 1 Scooter Blenny), 3 shrimp (2 peppermint and 1 skunk cleaner), 6 blue legged hermits and 10 turbo snails. All inhabitants are getting along well. I would like add one last fish (a center piece/eye catcher) and I'm thinking about a Dwarf Angel. Two questions - first do you think my bio load should be able to handle it and secondly do you like the choice of a dwarf angel or would you recommend something else. Comments appreciated!

Well, the neon goby hardly counts, right? And Barry isn't around tonight ( he is our fish police!), so you might get away with it!. A dwarf angel isn't very big and they are lovely fish. Very active. The only thing that I see that might be a concern is the Prism skimmer. How are your nitrates? You might want to upgrade to a better skimmer( don't we all!). But if you are not having any water quality issues it would likely be fine IMO . I have a coral beauty and she is a great fish and never touches the corals. ANd the bicolours are gorgeous- but a little bigger. Susan went through three flame angels before she finally got one that did well- so beware of them.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Thanks Momrules. My nitrates are usually between 5-10 mg/ltr. I can't seem to get them any lower and have tried different things. I'm religious with my water changes 15% every two weeks or 30% per month. I know the Prizm is a low end skimmer but I've only had it for three months. I think I'll ugrade the skimmer sometime in the New Year.

P.S You;re right about the Neon he is so small hardly counts. But I love that little guy - great personality!

I would add a Flame Angel.I have both a Flame and a Coral Beauty.I like the Flame much better.

Pluff
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

Thanks Pluff - love the Avatar is that a Susan specialty?

Hendu

Yes that is one of Susans specialty.That fish is going on 9 years old.That Maroon even lets me pat him on the head

Pluff
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

9 years - that's awesome!!!

BH (before hurricane) I kept a flame and coral beauty together. AH (after hurricane) I now have a midnight angel and bicolor angel. Of all of them and taking into consideration their looks and personality I think I like the bicolor the best. I'm sure there are more differences between individuals than species so it could just be that this particular bicolor has a great personality but the other dwarf angels were much less personable. I loved my flame angel but he and the others were very independent and didn't interact with me at all. The bicolor is quite the little charmer and actually greets me at the glass, even when it's not feeding time.

Barry has a cherub (pygmy) angel that is an awesome little fish. Loads of character. That might be an even better fish for your tank, much smaller and less of a bioload.

Hope this helps!
    Susan

Thanks for the input Flame*Angel - do you feel my tank could handle anothe inhabitant?

Yes and no. I don't feel that your current fish load is very heavy for your tank size. However, your sig line states your nitrates are 10. That may signal a potential problem. If it was me I'd challenge myself to get my nitrates below 5 and keep them there for a full month. If that was achieved and the tank was still getting enough food then I'd go for the smaller cherub angel.

I tried a Prizm skimmer on a 20g tank with just a jawfish and a firefish and still found it hard to keep nitrates down. I'll bet that with a better skimmer you'd be able to get those nitrates down and get the little cherub angel.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast