Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Increasing Coraline Growth

Hey All,

My tank has been setup almost 4 month now and has had very little corraline growth, I am just starting to notice a few small patches on the back glass. I started dripping kalkwasser so I think this helped.

My PH is about 7.8-7.9 and alk 7.7dkh ... Calcium was 400(hagen kit though).

Is there anything I can do to promote the coraline growth ?

thanks,
    Nick.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Yup

raise your PH to 8.1 - 8.2
    Raise your calcium to 450-480
    and test your ALK.. get your ALK up to around 11-14 DKH.

Then go buy a nice small 2-3 pounds peice of live rock with Lots of coraline growth.. and Scrub it in the tank and let the pores go allover the tank

Do what Toooloud mentioned. You can also scrape those dots off the glass when you clean the glass. When you do this, the spores get to move around the tank and in a sense you're a bee pollinating the tank with coralline spores: :

I increased actinic lighting. Bought a small rock with lots of coraline on it and smashed it into tiny pieces with a hammer and spred this around the tank. Now there is coraline everywhere.

Most of my darn coralline is green! I think the snails and urchin like the purple stuff and scrap it off. Maybe it will purple up with my new MH?
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Getting your phosphate levels down to vanishingly low readings is key with respect to getting good coralline growth. Phosphate is a calcification poison. Because it has a similiar chemical structure to that of carbonate, many things that require carbonate for growth (coral skeletons, coralline, etc) take phosphate as well. Since there's an extra oxygen atom, it misshapes the structure, and further growth has a hard time. The problem with getting an accurate phosphate test is that most (all) hobby test kits are worthless, although the Salifert kit isn't bad. The Lamotte and Hach kits are nice, but they are a bit pricy.

Gail, I suspect that you won't see purple coralline with your new MH. If anything, I suspect that you'll get a pale pink or even almost white coralline growth. It's been my experience that coralline does not like intense lighting at all.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

i love me red coralline growth. is there anyway to convince it to outgrow the purple?
    Albert
    My Photos

and once phosphates are removed, would the corraline (and corals) be as good as new? or have they already been covered by PO4 and will have trouble growing forever?
    Albert
    My Photos

Eventually, the problem does seem to fix itself. Most people notice an increase in stony coral/coralline growth once phosphates are reduced. I also believe that excellent current flow also improves coralline growth.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

Jason-Well- white or pink is better than lime green! Hey- How come Susan has such nice purple coralline under her MH'S? No Fair! I do have some patches purple and red patches, but the green seems to outcompete the pretty stuff.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast