Salifert Test Can't be Right

I just recieved my Salifert KH and Ca test kits, but the readings can't be righ....can they?

I did the Kh test first. Followed the directions carefully, added 4 mls to the vial, followed by 2 drops of the little blue bottle after I shook it and gave a gentle swirl to the vial. I added the plastic tip to the syringe and drew back on the plunger until I reached the 1.0ml mark from the clear regent bottle. I added a drop at a time giving a swirl in between each and by the end of the syringe there was no color change. I did the entire test twice more to the same end. I then added a little more and it it finally changed color. According to my best guess since it was off the chart my reading in DKh would be around 17. I used two other test kits, one by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and the Fast Test and got 11 and 11.2 respectively. Is the Salifert test just out to lunch.

Another interesting result was achieved from the Ca test. After carefully following the directions i got a reading of 320 for my calcium. I can't see that even being possible since i did a large water change last week and I have a MRC-CR2 calcium reactor with only a medium calcium demand in my opinion.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Jere are a few more vital stats.

Ph 7.9 Morning 8.2 end of day. Pinpoint Ph Controller
    Salinity 1.025 refractometer.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

My instructions are downstairs but I think its says NOT to swirl the vial after you add the 2 drops of blue stuff. Might wanna check that. As for the CA tests... Im not sure but maybe you should do some testing during 24 hours. Im sure the level doesnt stay the same for the whole day.

Testing error was the first thing I eliminated. I did it twice and then had my wife (pharmacist who can follow directions better than me) and the result is the same. I fear I have over done it with the Ca reactor. I have found some articles by Randy Holmes Farley that I will be reading today.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

If you know someone nearby that has another Salifert KH test kit, try testing your water with that one to see what results you get. I had the same problem with a Salifter KH kit a couple years ago and there was something wrong with the reagant. I got another kit and used the new reagant with the first kit and it worked fine. That was the only time I had a problem with a Salifert test kit but it sure makes you panic a bit when you see a reading of 17 dKH !!! My guess is that you have a bad test kit.

OK the Test Kit is correct. I did another test on the tank and it is still reading over 16 DKH. I then tested the 20gal stand alone tank that does not get anything other than water changes and the DKH was 8.6. It is fair to sat that there is a sever issue with alkalinity in the main tank. I have shut down the reactor and await any advice to speed up the return to normal over the next few days. A water change will not yield the drop that I need given the volume in the system is around 150 gallons.

Hardware:

Wouldnt 16 DKH kill most of your livestock? Hows everything looking?

Everything looks pretty normal. The Hectoractis Magnifica is usually my barameter, but, it is looking normal. I just read a bunch of threads and published articles by Randy Holmes Farley and the solution is in hand. I have to go get some Calcium Chloride as quickly as I can and start to bring down the alkalinity over the course of the next few days. When I get back from the local fish store I will detail the silly mistake I made that got me in this mess so that others don't do the same thing.

Hardware:

honestly I would buy another salifert test kit and retry, maybe your other stand alone tank is out.
    also, a water change and addition of turbo calcium will drive down the alk if it truly is an issue. how is the livestock? with a dkh that high you should be seeing some reactions.

Here is where things have gone wrong. I kept adding Seachem Reef Builder to raise the Alkalinity because the other two brands of tests showed it to be lower than I wanted and the Ph was not climbing each day beyond 8.08. I then fired up the new calcium reactor which started to add calcium and increase alkalinity proportionally. I never did the Ca test as I did not have the test kit. Everything must be ordered by mail where I live as there is no LFS that deals with marine equipment or supplies that I need. I would say that this has contributed to the problem. Since the calcium is so low (320) I will increase the calcium over the nex 4 - 5 days and that should drop the alkalinity.

I may exchange the kit, but, I doubt there is a problem. I am going to mix a batch of new salt water and test that as well before adding the calcium chloride.

Hardware:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    honestly I would buy another salifert test kit and retry, maybe your other stand alone tank is out.
    also, a water change and addition of turbo calcium will drive down the alk if it truly is an issue. how is the livestock? with a dkh that high you should be seeing some reactions.

Yeah I can't believe I have gotten away with it. I tested a newly made 5 gallon jug of Instant Ocean water with the Salifert Kh test and it was 11.2. That is exactly where it should be when mixed at 25 degrees Celcius at a salinity of 1.022. Two hours after increasing the Ca by 50ppm with calcium chloride the alkalinity is now detectable in the main tank at 16 DKH. I will be raising the Ca another 50ppm as per Randy Holmes Farley's instructions on Reef Central. That should put the Calcium at 420 which is where I will maintain it until the alkalinity comes down. Should be a matter of a few days.

Hardware: