Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone here with bare bottom tanks?

I just finished reading a massive thread on ReefCentral on how much easier it is to keep a bare bottom tank compared to a DSB.

It makes a whole lot of sense if you ask me. Tons of flow so that everything gets to the overflow then skimmed. :speedbana

I am kinda pissed cause I bought roughly 100lb worth of Caribsea Aragonite a few weeks ago. :crap:
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

Another thing I am reading about is cooking LR. Looks like I am taking my LR out for 2months and also getting rid of my sandbed. lol

Cooking has nothing to do with the ammonia cycle.
    It has to do with changing the conditions the rocks are in from an algal dominated (lit) to a bacteria dominated (dark) system.

Enabling the bacteria to get the upperhand and 'bore' into the rock and consume all the organics (Phosphorous), thus eliminating the algae's food source, thus killing the algaes off.
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

if u just started the tank, then by all mean go ahead and cook it, just turn off the lights, u dont need a seperate container.

in terms of sandbed... it looks much better with a sandbed than without, that much i can tell you.

some people also experienced bleaching in corals when swithching from sand bed to bare bottom. something about reflecting light...

also sandbed provide more surface area and more places to hide, its just more natural.

by now i think its pretty obvious that i'm an advacator of sand beds hyeah:

I think you should go bare bottom, PM send about buying your aragonite. :wink5:

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    if u just started the tank, then by all mean go ahead and cook it, just turn off the lights, u dont need a seperate container.

in terms of sandbed... it looks much better with a sandbed than without, that much i can tell you.

some people also experienced bleaching in corals when swithching from sand bed to bare bottom. something about reflecting light...

also sandbed provide more surface area and more places to hide, its just more natural.

by now i think its pretty obvious that i'm an advacator of sand beds hyeah:
    I do agree I also prefer a sandbed because it looks better and seems more natural. Most ppl put Starboard HDPE (high density polyethylene) on their bottoms to proect the glass and that should also limit reflections.

There seems to be way more pros than cons. I decided to make the switch to BB and cook my LR. :biggrinbo
    Click For Pictures

My 90g has been bare bottom for almost 2 years with no major issues. I never cooked the rocked though. You can check out my gallery to see pics.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Hi, I have my 75gal BB. I do have a remote in the dark deep sand bed though. Thats what you should do with all your aragonite. You have it in the dark and with a flow high enough for no debris to collect. I keep mine in a section of my sump. Its the same basic idea as what your saying with the rock being kept in the dark for a while, anaerobic bacteria forms...
    Right now I have 5700gallons of flow (76 X turn over) in my tank. Not too much crap staying stuck at the bottom Im not skimming very much out and Im feeding quite heavily and have 4 anthias 5 chromis 1 bellus angel(not a light bioload). (6 times or so a day) I think corals consume alot of fish poo.

I would have to disagree with the rice man, I find BB nicer, especialy when coraline takes over.
    My SPS seem to like the heavy flow, cant get that kind of flow with aragonite in there.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Quote Originally Posted by reefsurfer
    Hi, I have my 75gal BB. I do have a remote in the dark deep sand bed though. Thats what you should do with all your aragonite. You have it in the dark and with a flow high enough for no debris to collect. I keep mine in a section of my sump. Its the same basic idea as what your saying with the rock being kept in the dark for a while, anaerobic bacteria forms...
    Right now I have 5700gallons of flow (76 X turn over) in my tank. Not too much crap staying stuck at the bottom Im not skimming very much out and Im feeding quite heavily and have 4 anthias 5 chromis 1 bellus angel(not a light bioload). (6 times or so a day) I think corals consume alot of fish poo.

I would have to disagree with the rice man, I find BB nicer, especialy when coraline takes over.
    My SPS seem to like the heavy flow, cant get that kind of flow with aragonite in there.
    Thanks for your reply.

I am building a closed loop and was thinking a Dart would be too much flow for a 60g tank 3600gph / 60g = 60X so with BB I think that would be just perfect
    Click For Pictures

I'm not for or against bare bottomed. It has several advantages and the bio filtration of a dsb can be replaced with a remote dsb in a bucket (as pointed out.)

Something that hasn't been pointed out is that the in tank sand bed is living space for starfish, snails, gobies, shrimp, and other animals you might want to keep. Several can adapt to not having a sand bed, some just won't.

Before you decide which way you want to go, you should think about what animals you want to keep in your tank.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    I'm not for or against bare bottomed. It has several advantages and the bio filtration of a dsb can be replaced with a remote dsb in a bucket (as pointed out.)

Something that hasn't been pointed out is that the in tank sand bed is living space for starfish, snails, gobies, shrimp, and other animals you might want to keep. Several can adapt to not having a sand bed, some just won't.

Before you decide which way you want to go, you should think about what animals you want to keep in your tank.

Cheers!
    Definatly a good point. Most barebottomers are sps fanatics and want to keep high flow specimens. Sps in nature thrive in areas with LOTS of flow, especialy acroporas(my favourite). My tank consists of mostly robust species found on the reef crest where there is the most current.

I have to say though that many species of starfish, snails, and shrimp come from the reef crest as well, an area where there is deffinatly no dirt (substrate if you like) to be found.

Its a good idea to research everything you put in your tank.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast