Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small Aptasia problem and JoesJuice

I had a small Atpasia problem and it was starting to look like it might get out of hand. I tried some of the JoesJuice stuff and I'll be damn, it actually works. It toasted the little ones and seriously crippled the larger ones. I just administered a 2nd dose to the bigger ones. This was all in less then 48 hrs. I heard some skepticism from some boards against JoesJuice but man I'm a believer.

Anyone have any experience using this stuff, good or bad?

Cheers,

Wait a little while...you'll be amazed when some of them return.

But Joe's Juice does work well though.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

yeah that's what I figured...but as long at they are controlled and not going nuts...it's all good. Thanks for the warning though, I'll be keeping a close eye on them over the next week.

Where do they come from? Are they hitchhikers?

Yes they hitch off the LR. I've never myself purposely went out and bought aptasia from my LPS! ) Granted if they sold them it would be about $1 for 100 of them!

Quote Originally Posted by pwall
    Wait a little while...you'll be amazed when some of them return.
    yeah, they will return but that has nothing to do with the Joe's. the problem is you are only treating what you can see, there are dozens more aptasia behind the rocks.

the only thing that works better than Joe's is to introduce a natural predator. this may not be possible though, depending on what else you have or want in your tank.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

As said depending what you have in your tank, you can try peppermint shrimp. although it's a hit or miss but I think it is worth to try.
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

I use Joes juice as well and find the same thing, works well as a bandaid but they will return in a while. You can also try a Copperbanded Butterfly fish, they can be difficult to keep and they dont always eat the aptasia. They are a beautiful addition to the tank though. By the way, BA's has Peppermint shrimp on sale this week for $6.88 ea.
    Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

both the CBB and the peppermint shrimp are good for dealing with aptasia but they can be hit or miss. on the down side the CBB may go after other invertibrates, including anemones we want to keep. all the peppermint shrimp i've had seem to want to hang out in the overflow and usually end up taking the big waterslide to the basement. they are also known to try to steal food from other anemones.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I got a Pepp a while back and he did manage to get the smaller Apt's but then he disappeared (eaten, died, etc.). And with the issues I've had with my buffet loving cleaner shrimp, I'm reluctant to add any kind of shrimp to my tank. With the hit or miss aspect of Pepps and CBB I'll stick with the manual method even if it doesn't erradicate every Apt. I don't mind having a couple of small Apts here and there....administering Joesjuice takes about 3 mins! Much faster than the 3 days it would take me to strip the tank down to catch the CCB that may be picking at the rest of my corals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast