Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

90 gallon plumbing question

hi guys, anyone using a 90 gallon aga reef ready tank with the "mega-flow" overflow? I'm second guessing my purchase after reading on the net that most people find that "rated" 600gph is just not adequate for a reef. Well the tank is bought and paid for and I need to come up with a plan to modify the existing plumbing to be able to deal with more flow. I suppose the stock plumbing is fine if i want to add power heads inside the tank to compensate for the extra flow i'll no doubt want. Also, having just the one overflow doesnt give me any redundancy in case of a blockage etc. So, the tank is here empty and now is my chance to add an additional drainoverflow. I'd prefer to go with as few holes as possible and I don't have any problem with comming over the top of the tank for an additional return to add to the smallish return supplied with this tank. The one and only existing drain is cored through the bottom of the tank with the tall black tower fixed to the back glass, and the one return line is also plumbed inside the tower also comming in through the bottom glass.

I'm stuck on going with a hole for the 2nd drain up on the back wall near the top edge of the tank and putting in a overflow box or going with another drain in the bottom of the tank and finding another tower or piece of black plexi i can attach to the existing tower and using a durso inside it (like the stock one). Seeing the tank is a 90 and the existing rear wall tower takes up a fair bit of room, maybe would be better off with a top corner box instead..(less intank space)

The other thing i'm looking at is i'm not sure what pump i should be running on this tank..say even with just the stock plumbing they say is rated for 600gph..I would like to use my existing little giant pump i have that is rated for around 1300gph (i think) but i think would be foolish to even try without the 2nd drain installed Using a valve to cut it back i suppose would be an option.

anyone with one of these single "mega-flow" overflowtanks? or any other thoughts or suggestions on this, hole\bulkhead size?...

btw, i'm not a fan of closed loops so i'd rather create a fairly crazy amount of flow in the tank with just 2 returns (1 stock 1 over the top) and 2 drains. If i need to add a tunze or similar i dont have a huge prob with that..

thanks, Jeff

I woudlint worry to much about having a single overflow. If you loose sleep over it why not connect a float switch to your return pump. If the overflow gets clogged and the water level in rises, the float switch is triggered and shuts the pump down.

Since the tank is already out you can pre drill holes for a closed loop for a clean look or you can get some tunze powerheads if you dont mind the look. Aim for a minimum of 20X but 30X seems to be the norm for tanks with sandbeds. Bare bottom tanks can get away with much more flow.
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

If you don't want to drill you can still do a closed loop, you only need do the plumbing "over the wall". My current opinion is that as long as the tank still holds water, there's no such thing as too many holes

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

i agree, you don't need to have all your flow go through the sump. what size sump do you have? if you are using your sump as a filter ( with LR ) then you would only need 270 - 450 GPH ( 3 - 5 times display volume ) using a closed loop is the best way to get the rest of your flow, if you don't like them then use a coulple poweheads ( seio, tunze, MJ mods ...... )
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

thanks for the info. Thinking of adding a 2nd overflow in the top corner with a corner box and a durso T on the outside of the tank. I'll plumb in a 2nd return over the top also and if this will not handle my little giant pump i'll either ball valve it down or consider running my skimmer off it also.

jeff

I would skip the second overflow idea and go with either a closed loop or add extra power heads. Overflows eat up a lot of tank space and tend to look like crap. Also the extra flow through your sump will create a micro bubble problem that many people have pulled their hair out trying to fix.

thanks for all the replies folks..I'm starting to lean towards just leaving the 90 with the stock overflow\return setup. True enough that with the current aga overflow tower already in the tank maybe its best not to stick anymore boxes in there..lol

Even warming up to the closed loop idea seeing i will have a few extra pumps kicking around. Any recommendations on the size of holes and hole locations on a standard shaped 90 gallon? I'm thinking here also the availability of fittings etc. I'd like to keep the closed loop simple. I'm guessing that the intake bulkhead for the CL would need some sort of strainer on it and the return bulkhead could have one of them double adjustable flex thingy's? inside the tank to direct flow

The sump for the 90 is only a 33 gal currently in a seperate room and would like to keep it there too as to not have to deal with the noise of a sump\pump etc under the tank.

I guess the pump i choose for the CL could just go underneath the tank in the stand if its quiet enough. Is it possible to just use spa type hose from the CL bulkheads to the in\out on the pump? how would you prime the loop like this?

I've used a glass shop in the east end before but maybe try and find somewhere out this way (kanata) to drill the closed loop. Could try it myself but would prefer to have someone who's done them before hyeah:

questions, questions..
    thanks in advance

I will be buying the same aga 90g tank you have tomorrow. I plan to run a closed loop by removing the return in the overflow box and converting that to the intake into the closed loop pump.

That way everything is hidden.
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    I will be buying the same aga 90g tank you have tomorrow. I plan to run a closed loop by removing the return in the overflow box and converting that to the intake into the closed loop pump.
    lol, are you setting up another tank or upgrading already??? :hysterica
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Smile

sorry, but I think every tank should have a backup overflow. it will get blocked with something sometime 100% promise! you need another overflow.

you can most certainly just use the return pump for flow but this all depends on what you want to keep. I think you'd be fine with softies and lps and maybe even a few sps near the top.

if you do indead need more flow later you can easily buy the MAXIJETMOD kit online for $30 and you have a kick ass powerhead. I have 4 of these running a 500g tank! and theres almost to much flow LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast