Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Q: tank height

Q: tank height

I am getting more serious about the custom tank and was wondering what people's preferences were on tank height? I was thinking 18" (as I am a little short) but I do not want to short change myself (punny!) in terms of the tank as this will most likely be the last tank I get permission for for some time!

I know the depth is predicated on the lighting to a certain extent and I am undecided between MH or T5. But I will make a separate post on that.

Andrew

if you want a shorter tank, then T5 is a good way to go, with individual reflectors of course

Can you give us an estimation on what the overall size of a tank you are shooting for. Personally on tanks over 90g I like a depth of 24" or more with at least the same or more in front to back width.

Oops - forgot to give all the dimensions!

30-32" left to right
    24" front to back
    18-24" top to bottom

Total gallonage would be in the 60-80 gallon.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzy
    Can you give us an estimation on what the overall size of a tank you are shooting for. Personally on tanks over 90g I like a depth of 24" or more with at least the same or more in front to back width.

I would go for 32x24x24 that would give you roughly 75g. You will have a large option for lighting and equipment. I've always felt that depth and front to back width is important to balance out the look of a tank.

I agree with Kenzy. I have always felt short changed (sorry for the dig there ) with 75 gal tanks that were 18 inches front to back. One good capricornis and your fragging all the time. I used to break some of my faves every time I cleaned my 75. 24" front to back is great. With a tnak that is side to side only 36", 24" wide and at least 20" deep is a great way to go.
    Jason

Thanks for all the opinions guys - I really appreciate it! I am leaning towards the 24" high, again, not wanting to regret things later.

Looking at maybe the 24" Current USA 250W MH with 4x24W T5 actinics - would be good for 32"x24"24" tank right?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Not in my opinion. A 250W MH light covers an area 24 x 24 x 20". The T5 actinics won't provide any intensity 4" on either side. You'd need 50/50s and then the bottom 2" if you use a dsb, 6" if you go bare bottom *might* be an issue for light demanding coral.

If you get a fixutre with 2 MH lamps, you'd cover the entire tank, but then why not go 48x24x24? ~ 120G.

EDIT actually if you got 2 of the 24" fixtures & put them front to back on the tank you'd be good. Is that what you had in mind?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Smile

IMO you'd be more than fine with that light setup.
    250w MH will most certainly reach the bottom of that tank and most highlight corals [sps] are normaly put near the top.

T5 lighting, now,, you cannot really use wattage with phosphorus lamps, lumens is more appropriate. T5 with reflectors will be just fine for actinics and in fact the actinics reach the bottom better than lower K lighting. we don't see it as bright but the UV and blue wave lengths penetrate very well.
    you could go all T5 lamps and keep anything in that tank

Wow - some many good opinions and arguments, it makes it hard to decide!

Too bad there is not the definitive answer for this!

Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast