Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need some opinions on this matter?

As most of you know I just got another tank. I want to use water from my other reef tanks to fill it. It's a 180 gallon and I've taken 60 gallons now (30 each time..2 days apart) from them to help fill the new tank. If I do it again today that will make 3 water changes in a week from the reef tanks (180 gal and 220 gal) do you think this is alright? or should I wait awhile before taking more?
    thanks guys
    Lynn

LYNN

In my oppion I wouldn't take anymore water from your other tanks now and just fill that one up with new water and let it cycle out. To many or much water changes on an established system to me is not good as I believe it messes with the stabability and balance of your water chemistry.

I agree with Johnny on this one. You already have plenty in the new tank to help it along. I'd just fill it up with new salt water and let it cycle.
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I agree with Johnny. 30 gallon per tank twice... that's quite a bit of water.

I'd wait a good week, maybe even 10 days before taking more from those tanks.

In the mean time, you could add the same amount of newly mixed saltwater to that new tank.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

If you've taken 30 gallons twice out of your 180, and do another 30, that means you've taken 90 gallons out of a 180, which amounts to a 50% water change. I don't think that is too much for the system to take. You have been replenishing it, but I wouldn't dare go further than that. If you had a major water problem in your tank and had to do water changes, you might go 50% to cure a problem, so why not to set up a tank. You've taken even less percentage of water out of the 220.

You may be better off using some rock and a bit of substrate from the other tanks to help cycle the new one.

so should i be slowing down on my water changes too? i am trying to fight an algae issue and have changed only about 20 gallons in the whole 7 months that i have the tank. I have so far changed about 25 gallons (5 gal at a time) in the past week and a half. I was also planning to do a lot more over the long weekend (thanksgiving for us americans) especially considering that i am getting all my new RO/DI cartridges today. should i limit my water changes to only 10 more gallons so that i dont change more than 50% or can i just keep going till i have 100% of new fresh water? (the problem is that the algae die-off releases all those nutrients back into the water, and unless i export them via water changes, it will just be there for new algae to grow back.)
    Albert
    My Photos

I agree with percula99 and AndrewNS.

I've been doing something simular on a small 27 gal from my 108.
    I did to help cycle I was doing 4-5 gal water changes every couple of days. Once I add the biomix sand then I started add some sand and live rock from my 108 to help seeding process.

That's enough Lynn, fill the rest of the tank with the newly mixed water...

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Albert your situation is a bit different. I change 20% of my water every weekend. By the time your new cartridges get here and you get some new salt your tank will be ready. You need to get those phosphates down and a water change with good water will help a lot.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast