Q-90 gallon closed loop

hi guys, i'm looking for advice on installing a closed loop on my 90 gallon aga tank. Specifically, hole size, number of holes, position of holes on back glass etc.

do you just use some sort of a strainer on the CL intake so the fish etc don't get sucked in? on the CL return to the tank, wondering if one or two holes is good using a T to split the return to the tank..

thanks in advance
    Jeffd

I was surfing RC the other day and there is a thread on closed loops and pics of people tanks. There is one by a guy who's name I cannot remember but he is a tile setter. Youcan't miss his closed loop. All connected and all hardplumbed with no spa flex or flex hose of any kind. Very Very nicely done. Try to get inspiration from his setup. Top notch. His is a 180gal? But you could cut down the holes by a couple and get the same results on a 90gal.
    Hole size will depend on many factors.
    Desired flow
    pump size
    sump size, to name a few.
    Jason

I will be installing a closed look on a 90g soon also. I decided to get a sequence barracuda pump pushing thru a oceans motion 4way. At 2ft head I will be pushing 4,250gph so roughy 47x turnover. I will be bare bottom so the more flow the better.

I will drill a for a 1.5" bulkhead to feed the pump and return it to the top of my tank. I dont want to risk drilling too many holes in my new tank.

It will look something like this but thru a 4way, not an 8way.

Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

thanks...looking for all the input i can get ..i notice that most all cl's are using pvc and not spa line. Whats the reason for this as i would of thought spa line would get more flow through as using it would eliminate pvc fittings..not sure how you would hook up a priming line to prime the pump with spa line though..Even considering going over the tank with the cl but no doubt through the glass is a cleaner solution. I want to keep it simple as possible and thinking of using one of those swid(sp) units to switch up the flow from side to side. Been trying to find pics on the net of others who have done a cl on a 90gal to give me placement\height ideas but so far not much luck.

jeffd

You can't put a hard 45 or 90 in SpaFlex, you still have to use joints for that, but, if you have a longer run with a slow bend SpaFlex is better. For shorter, mostly straight runs with tees and elbows you might as well save some money and use basic PVC.

You can, if inclined, use a heat gun and put a slow curve in hard PVC rather than use joints (like a pair of 45s).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    thanks...looking for all the input i can get ..i notice that most all cl's are using pvc and not spa line. Whats the reason for this as i would of thought spa line would get more flow through as using it would eliminate pvc fittings..not sure how you would hook up a priming line to prime the pump with spa line though..Even considering going over the tank with the cl but no doubt through the glass is a cleaner solution. I want to keep it simple as possible and thinking of using one of those swid(sp) units to switch up the flow from side to side. Been trying to find pics on the net of others who have done a cl on a 90gal to give me placement\height ideas but so far not much luck.

jeffd
    Keep in mind the SCWD wavemaker has its limitations. It's quite restrctive and will limit the flow quite a bit. Your better off with an Oceans Motion S-Squirt Compact @ 2500gph. Little more money thou :biglaugh2
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI