Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

DIY Calc and Alk Supplement System

Hello All, not sure if anyone has read this :

Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System

This in the new version using the mag flake. For the cost of all the supplies its really sweet idea, and there is serval threads on the success of many people using it.
    The dow flake, baking soda and epsom salts are easy to get, but the mag flake is rather hard to find. Anyone have any luck locally in Ottawa.

I had no luck finding Mag Flake locally so I called the company/distributor in Toronto and asked them to give me the names of a few stores around Ottawa that carried it. Basically there are no local stores that carry Mag Flake (or at least that have ordered from them in the past year or so). I live near a farm supply store that carries Dowflake so I thought that I would see if they could order me a couple bags of Mag Flake. They told me that they could bring some in but that there is a minimum order of one skid/pallet. I think she had said that there are 26 bags per skid, a bit too many for what I need...lol. I don't know how many people use or would consider using Randys calcium/alkalinity recipe but if there is enough interest for a local group order I could check into the cost of a full skid.

Marty

Price

Did she give you a price?
    3 years SW (with a big crash in the middle). 15G with a 10G sump

I know I would be interest in a 3-4 bags as even if you don't do the calc and alk part the mag part of the DIY is still a good idea and I've seen the Aquarium brand stuff on the market and its $$$$.

3 - 4 bags will last years ( and likely get contaminated with moisture ). i have been using the Dowflake for a year and a half and haven't used half a bag yet.

and if you want cheap mag buy some epsom salts at a pharmacy.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I can see what you are saying about 3-4 bags, maybe on 1 or 2, also concerning the mag, if you look at the link this is the new version that the mag part is accually both mag flake and epsom salts combines making a better solution. To quote from the link
    "Recently, however, some aquarists have found good quality bulk sources of magnesium chloride (sold as a deicer by the Dead Sea Works company). Using magnesium chloride improves the recipe and eliminates a primary concern with the previous recipe: the potential buildup of sulfate over time."

I don't have an exact price yet but I will try and stop by on Saturday to find out. I believe the retail price is about $25 - $30 for a 50 lbs bag but I'm sure that if we did a group order and got a whole pallet, it would be cheaper.
    I guess that the amount you use depends on your total water volume but I'm using at least 5 cups of Mag Flake a month and with 3 cups of epsom salts. I figure that I would go through a bag a year but seing as it's kind of hard to find around here, I wouldn't mind getting 3-4 bags and scealing them in a few garbage bags to make sure the moisture doesn't get to it.
    I'll find out how much it would be for a pallet and then see how many people may be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    I guess that the amount you use depends on your total water volume but I'm using at least 5 cups of Mag Flake a month and with 3 cups of epsom salts. I figure that I would go through a bag a year
    holy cow, how much of the other parts are your using. if you use 2 1/2 cups mag solution per gallon of the other two, you must be using 6.4G ea. of the other two parts??? per month ?? how big is your system?
    `

My Gallery

The Magnesium part of Randy's recipe is 3 cups of Epsom Salts & 5 cups of Magflake in one gallon of R.O water. My total water volume is about 480 gallons with sump and fuge so I will go through the total gallon in about a month. Most brands of salt are low in Calcium, Magnesium and Alk so I have to add a bit of everything every time I do a water change. In my case it's cost effective to go this route and by reading Randys research I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    ..... and by reading Randys research I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

i'm sorry if you misunderstood me but i'am not questioning Randys research, or your requirement for Mg. i am just shocked at how much you need.

who did you contact in Toronto, i've been searching the internet for a source with no luck. i 'm hoping they can put me on to a local supplier.
    `

My Gallery

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast