Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reef rat has a squeak.

I run my sump return through a ReefRat. It's been running for about two years now (working very well). However, in the past couple of weeks, it has developed a squeak on every cycle. I've removed it from the plumbing, cleaned it in vinegar, scrapped off coralline, etc. but the squeak persists. I know I can't oil it hyeah: But, I'd be interested in any suggestions of things which could be done.
    Nick

Is the squeak from the "nozzle" or from the inner workings?

You might be able put a little graphite lube inside the unit where the water never flows.

You can aslo try something like vaseline on the PVC bits to help. If it is PVC on PVC it might be starting to gall (make burrs on the rubbing pieces). In this case, you might need to sand and polish the rubbing parts to get some clearance.

I'll go take a look at mine and see what you are up against.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

It's coming from the nozzle. I can reproduce it by manually turning the nozzle from side-to-side. Vasoline sounds like a good idea to try. I'm a bit uncomfortable to unscrew the nylon screws in case they are doing more than just holding the box together, so I'm not sure I could get the parts free to do any sanding.
    Nick

I wouldn't worry too much. My fear would be breaking them, the unit isn't that fancy. If you do break a nylon screw it might mean a trip to Ottawa Fastener Supply.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Not too worried about the screws. Rather, I worry that they might be holding something in place within the enclosed box which will come loose and I won't know how to re-assemble it.
    Nick

The cover comes off the box pretty easily. I've done that before.

OK, Cres is right (of course). I unscrewed my Reefrat fairly easily. Turns out the the four large nylon screws on the base do not connect to anything inside and do not need to be unscrewed at all There are 6 metal screws (4 in the corners and 2 in the middle) which are recessed into the frame. You unscrew these and the top 'pops off' (as long as you remove any plumbing you have attached there). In order to remove the rotating outflow, you need to unscrew the small nylon screw which is one of the pivot points. Then you need to unscrew the two small nylon screws which hold the white rectangle to the case (see photos). The revolving piece pops out and you can clean it as needed. Shouldn't be too hard to re-assemble. Note however, that the electrics is not in waterproof container. Don't get it wet like I did :errr: Now, it trips my GFCI. I hope it will dry out OK over the next couple of hours and that nothing is permanently shorted.
    Nick

Didn't think it could be that simple, Murphy's law and all Turns out that most of the linkages are super-glued (at least in my version). I had actually had the glued connection break where the revolving connection join the shaft. When I put it together, it wouldn't turn until I re-glused it and then I got the angle of the revolving unit wrong and it kept getting stuck becuase it tried to turn the unit too far on one side. Trying to fix that, I broke a key nylon screw which I hope will hold with some more glue. So, beware if you try this!
    Nick

If you can't sort it out, I will try fix it.

I have a few more tools around here and a little guilt over the advice. ;-)

No guilt needed. I think the 'squeak' was actually a sign of the glue having broken before I even started working on it. The Superglue fix didn't work. I managed instead to drill a small hole and insert a metal screw. The unit seems to be working now. I judge progress over the next few days. If needed, I'll just run it as a fixed return.

Thanks for the offer.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast