Thread: Sun Polyps

Sun Polyps

Here's a question for you ladies & gentlemen smarter than me (yes, that's almost all of you )

I got a small sun polyp from a friend. Gave it to me since it was mostly dead. There are 32 polyps in the skeleton, but only 5 are still alive. I've been feeding it mysis & cyclope-eeze, in addition to the live brine & phyto it catches by itself. The remaining polyps have really perked up, and are doing great. Question remains regarding the rest. Will the animal recover the skeleton, or would that remain for the rest of the creature's life? Does not bother me either way, but the wife would really like to know.

Thanks,

Jim.

If feed well and kept healthy it will grow more polyps and regrow over the old skelton.

Thanks Shipwreck, good to know. Seems healthy now, fully fed. Will keep an eye on it.

Jim.

What light is on your tank and where is it located in the tank ???

Just keep feeding it and it will recover. I had one down to like the last polyp and it recovered. Took a while, but so did the wasting away part. Just don't foul your water feeding it like crazy. The cone of silence is good for this.
    Good luck
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by devilmike90
    What light is on your tank and where is it located in the tank ???
    6 bulb tek T5HO. Coral is located on the sandbed, below a rock overhang, medium to high flow, but out of the light. I got the coral (it was free) with the skeleton exposed. I've been feeding it every second day for the last week (mysis & cyclope-eeze through a rigid airline tube, one polyp at a time). Overfeeding isn't really an issue, since I feed the polyp before the fish, so they clean up any blow-by. Seems to be recovering nicely, polyps are "fatting-up". Just wondered if it would recover the skeleton.

Jason, good to hear you got it to work. Hopefully this one will recover as well.

Jim.