pc lighting question

hi, i'm looking at pc lighting atm and wondering what the difference is between
    pc bulbs with straight pin compared to square pin configuration. Is one type newer then the other? is it easier to get bulbs for one over the other etc..

looking at a fixture that holds 4 x 65w straight pin pc's and just wondering if these are being phased out and how common is the 65w pc bulb to purchase now and in the future. I see that they are available on this site. I was told that pc lighting will be around for some time yet as they have a tried and true track record and good bang for buck (pwrwatts)

i'm assuming the main point of failure on a pc fixture is the ballast..if a ballast were to crap out in a pc fixture, can something like a workhorse be wired up

thanks in advance!

All pc lights I have purchased before were run on workhorse ballasts. That being said the same ballasts could fire t5's. A better choice now and in the future. AS for the difference between square and straight pin. I don't believe there is any difference. I have some that are square and some that are straight. Just a difference in the end caps. I beleive that at first when they came out the square pin was european or asian and straight was american. I could be wrong on that though.
    Jason

Who ever told you PC's would give you a good bang for your buck or even measured a lamp's worth with the term watt needs to be shot and banned from selling reefing aquaria equipment. Watts mean nothing other than the amount of energy used. PAR is the true measurement of a lamp, and even than not all PAR is equal. I won't get into it here but I will say that PC's are fading out and with good reason.

TCO (total cost of ownership) is a big factor against PC's as well. A PC unit will not only cost more now over that of a good T5HO unit but also through the fixtures lifetime via lamp replacement.

IMO PC's are garbage and money well wasted. Either go T5HO or MH and you'll find your money well spent.

some good points other then the poor SOB being shot..LOL..anyone else??

Pc's

As a user of pc's and HQI fixture combined,
    I can tell you PC'S are quite good for lighting,however their
    life expectancy really sucks.......Right Now I must replace the lamps
    at $60.oo a bulb,which have only been used for a bit over 10 months at
    8 hours a day........So like other members have said is money well wasted........I had mh with t12s before and it was much better so it seemed.
    I believe the best fixture would be either A t5 .....or hqi with t5s.
    IMO.

thanks or the replies..What is the life on t5 HO's and their bulb prices? I understand that unless you go with HO t5's theres no sence getting them as NO t5's are not bright enough for most apps.

thanks

http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...ath=1_74_89_91

Speak with IJO before ordering to confirm that this is T5HO as it doesn't say but I'm going to guess that they are.

Replace the lamps every 12 months to be safe. Some will say you could run 18 months but the shift and PAR loss would warrant a 12 month replacement.