Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Something is hungry as hell in my tank.

So far, in the last 3 months, I've lost 5 shrimps, and this week my Blue Hippo has disapeared. My only guest is that something is very hungry. I don't think it's a bad crab but more like a huge bristle worm.. I monitoring one right now that seems to be at least a foot and a half long. Only problem to catch him is that it's hidding in a rock and my luck had decided that this rock be a base rock in the back on my tank.

Ant tricks guys?
    If your gonna do it, do it right the first time.

Id be very surprised if a bristle worm were eating live creatures in your tank. They would have to be dead first. Check your params. Maybe you have a mantis?

I could be wrong but again I dont think worms attack fish.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I pulled a pallolo worm from my tank. When it extended itself it could cover a 48" tank from side to side. Grossed my wife and kids out when I finally got it out. I can guarentee that a large worm is capable of taking out a fish and most definitely all your inverts. Even a small one can take out an unsuspecting fish or one that is sick. Good luck.
    ps once yoiu get the rock out put it in a bucket and throw in some alka seltzer, he will come out of the rock in a hurry. Then toss him.
    Jason

Most of them are harmless, but I think Jaden is right here considering the size of him, he could very well be predatory. Take an old stocking and put a piece of shrimp in it, leave it in your tank overnight, the worm will get tangled in the stocking and be trapped. There are also traps that are sold to catch them. This way you wont have to remove all your rock.

I have to ask you Jaden, do you have pics of your 4 foot worm?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

If it is a Mantis they are pretty cool. (Sorry for your losses already) If you could catch him i'm sure you could recoup your money loss by selling him. They are a pretty hot item. Well if it is a Mantis of course. Good Luck!!!

You could try the old inverted 2L bottle trick. Might work. All the same if he took down a hippo he's probably pretty big and wouldn't fit in a bottle. Mine was brave and was out in the open so I netted him right up. If there's one piece of advice I can give you if it is a mantis, it's read lot before you go sticking your hands in there!!! They have aweful nick names for a reason.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

No time to post it now going to dinner, but yes I do. Will post later this eve. It's a nasty one.
    Jason

Well i've checked my level and all is in the normal range. So this leaves me back to suspect #1.

Will try to catch him or the rock.

Thanks Guys.

Good luck and watch your fingers!!!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Are you guys talking about a Peacok Mantis Shrimp???

If yyes, should I be able to see it during the day?? If yes i doubt it be that since I can see mostly everywhere in my tank cept a couple of sport in the middle.

Heres the beast. It should show you that anything can go unseen for very extended periodds in your tank. When I saw this thing for the first time, I swear I screamed a little. It was stretched 4'. From end to end of my tank at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast