Unhappy Help With Anemone

I have not been at home with the tank for the last few months, I have been having it looked after for feedings and basic cleaning.

I went out today to fill up the top off container and my anenome was stuck on my SEIO powerhead that was hung in tunze style. I quickly turned the powerhead off, but the "arms" were sucked into the intakes. I was able to get most of them out, but it just will not let go.

Any ideas on how to get it out the rest of the way?

Ideas on how to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks

I had this happen to an LTA once. If you just leave the pump off it should release itself. I wasn't patient enough and just pulled it out and ripped off a bunch of tentacles. I fed it lots after that and it returned to full health in about 3 weeks and was huge after all the feedings.

No way really to prevent it other than keeping your water in pristine conditions to make sure that it doesn't release its foot from where it is attached.

Matt

that sucks, sorry to hear.

the best thing to do is let the anemone get out on his own. even if he can't get all the way out on his own, let him get out as much as he can before helping. if you have to help him along do it outside the tank but underwater still, in case he starts coming apart :errr:

you can cover the intakes with gutter guard or plastic mesh that they sell at craft stores or even walmart. then use zip ties to hold them on.

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Great guys, thanks for the input, I think I will try that gutter guard/plastic mesh idea, that way I can keep them the way they are hung.

I will leave it alone for a few days and hope it comes off.

In the past when this happened to me, theres NO WAY my blue carpet could have made it out in its own. I pulled it off and ripped off a few peices. My oppinion differs on this one, the sooner you pull it out the better as far as Im concerned. If your anemone was healthy to begin with, and as was mentioned, if you feed it well, it will recover fairly quickly.

Wait a little to feed it,let it catch its breath so to speak, I think it took a whole day after getting ripped out for mine to react positively to food, before that it would not swallow, so be patient. If all your params are good it will get better, they are TUFF.

The anemone was moving around which is why it happened, you said you hadnt been home, was anybody feeding it? Anemones move when something is wrong.

In any case gutter guard on your power heads will prevent this from happening but I suggest you figure out why its moving instead. Anemones need a weekly feeding IME to stay happy. When shes happy shell stop moving.

Scallop and shrimp are good, what ever you use, make sure its uncooked.

Good luck
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Quote Originally Posted by Nobez
    I will leave it alone for a few days and hope it comes off.

i meant for a couple of hours after the pump is turned off. i agree with reefsurfer, the sooner the better. IMO letting him untangle what he can himself is a lot easier on the nem than just shutting off the pump and starting to pull and tug at him.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Well I just got a phone call, and it has released itself and is looking fairly good according to the person that is looking after the tank. They are feeding it for me, so I will keep you all updated on how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty
    i meant for a couple of hours after the pump is turned off. i agree with reefsurfer, the sooner the better. IMO letting him untangle what he can himself is a lot easier on the nem than just shutting off the pump and starting to pull and tug at him.
    Good point.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER