Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tank backing

tank backing

Is anyone using anything other than blue or black paint as a backing for their tank? i have a 90gal in-wall which i work on from behind and would like something that is removable while im back there. im thinking of something like black felt or vinyl. i'm just interested if anyone has tried this.
    Thanks in advance

Better check with Dark, as he use a tinted cover that you can see from the back but not from the front. I can't remember where he took it.

Fred
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

it's glass tinting film which you can get at Canadian Tire (in the auto section I believe).
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)
    Coming Soon - 120g with more stuff

Xenon is using a translucent blue sheet of vinyl directly on the back of the tank using soapy water and then another sheet of black vinyl on the back of the blue vinyl. The results are pretty impressive (look for the thread on his AGA 90g).

He picked up the material at a sign place on Bank St. across from Tommy & Lefevbre (Bank & Catherine) for cheap ( I think 3$/yd or something like that). I want to do the same thing, just haven't had the time to go get it yet.

Hope that helps.

Jean D.

DARK is using the regular automotive window tint, found at CT.
    From the viewing side of the tank you can't see what's behind the tank (which is great if you have a 'sump room').
    From inside the sump room, it gives you (although darker) a view into the tank. Which comes in handy when doing maintenance.
    My tank was painted on the back, but this won't allow you to see inside the tank from the sump room. Once my tank is back up & running, I'll be using the window tint like DARK has.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Once I get over this darn pneumonia, I'll be going to Pwall house to help him tint his tank then I will be tinting my new tank as well. Its very easy to use and still allows the glass to be cleaned.

Looks like this from the back...

Thats Spectacular, its exactly what i'm looking for. being a self-procalimed 'car guy' im surprised i didnt think of that myself. i'm definatly going to pick some tint up on the weekend becasue im really sick of looking into my sump room everyday. the only question i have is what percentage are you using for the tint?

I forget the exact % but go with the darkest you can find. Remember the light shining from within the tank will allow you to see in fairly well from the sump room but when looking from the front the back glass is black.

I did the same thing on my tank (idea shamelessly stolen from Dark!), and it works perfectly. It gives the illusion of a solid black back from the front, but still lets you see into the tank easilly from the back. Cost about 20 bucks from Canadian Tire and went on in 10 minutes.

Yeah a great idea.. I was going to do it but the gf wanted navy blue so I installed vinyl instead.

It would be real nice to see from the back.
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast