Lowering Alkalinity

Hello Is there any way to lower alkalinity? I did a test last night and I thought it said that I was twice the desired amount.

Any info would be great.

Oh and PH is fine if that helps at all. I might have read the test wrong.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

hum I'd do the test again, and/or find someone else's test kit to try as well. Also, are you reading the correct unit? There are 2-3 different units to represent alkalinity and can get confusing.

Hard to imagine how alkalinity will double itself for no apparent reason (unless u'r dosing alot).
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

I'm dosing Seachem PH buffer. Would that do it?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Why are you dosing buffer? I can understand washing soda or baking soda as part of a 2 part calcium/alk supplement, but not buffer on its own. Use it if your ph swings or alk is off, and during water changes. Not needed any other time.
    Jason
    PS if your alk doubles it will most certainly take your oh with it. Check your test kit.

I should have said that the PH is fine when I dose buffer.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by mike536
    I'm dosing Seachem PH buffer. Would that do it?

Do a double dose of Calcium Chloride. That will reduce your alkalinity. Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium should do the trick. Just make sure it is not Calcium Hydroxide or calcium carbonate as both will maintain alkalinity and you want to parcipitate alkalinity. Don't worry about the calcium reading it will settle down fine. When you get your alkalinity balanced stop using that PH buffer. Once you get your Ca between 400-420 and your DKH between 9-10.5 all you should need is calcium hydroxide (Kalkwasser) to maintain Ca, DKH, and your PH.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by mike536
    Hello Is there any way to lower alkalinity? I did a test last night and I thought it said that I was twice the desired amount.

Any info would be great.

Oh and PH is fine if that helps at all. I might have read the test wrong.
    it would help if you can give us your actual Alkalinity reading and which test kit you are using.
    You should also provide your Ca and Mg readings so that we may properly advise you.
    You shouldnt be dosing anything into your tank that you dont test for.
    Albert
    My Photos