Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

clown tang not eating.

Ok, so a few weeks ago I baught a 2.5"clown tang at reefsolution for 40$. This fish looks skinny from the start but I tell myself Ill give him a chance to live. A week after, found dead stuck on a powerhead.

I go in and tell the guys at the store about it. They were nice enough to give me a good deal on an realy healthy looking clown tang. Its been almost a week, new tang isnt eating and is visibly getting skinnier every day.

Heres a list of the things Ive tried.

1. nori clip

2. garlic guard dipped nori

3. garlic guard dipped mysis

4. formula two flakes

5. freeze dried cyclops eeze

6. Entice dipped mysis

7. Dumped 1 cap full of Entice in tank and fed afterwards.

8. Entice dipped nori.

9. Nori on a rock with rubberband to hold it..

Basicaly this fish goes arround ignoring all particles floating arround the tank.

Picks at the rocks a bit but spends most of his time smimming arround aimlessly.

What should I do?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

When I brought a yellow tang home a while ago it wouldn't eat mysis or cyclopeze. I told the guys at the LFS about it and they suggested brine shrimp - apparently that is like candy. Worked like a charm and I just weaned the yellow tang from brine to mysis over time.

maybe ask the store what he was eating prior to you buying the fish

thats a good palce to start i'd say

i'd also be inclined to ask them if they could feed the animal in front of you

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy00
    maybe ask the store what he was eating prior to you buying the fish

thats a good palce to start i'd say

i'd also be inclined to ask them if they could feed the animal in front of you
    I actualy baught the fish even though it wasnt eating.. I guess thats my fault for buying a fish thats not eating. Somehow I thaught this guy would be a survivor. I do see him pecking at the rock here and there. Hopefully he makes it.

Thanks Fish! Ill try brine right now and get back to you.

research shows that clown tangs are pretty much doomed from the get go. there so much harder to keep than the sohals [relative].
    clowns are one of those fish that really should not be in the trade.
    also, if it does survive, remember these fish are MEAN MEAN. I added a sohal a few weeks back and I now have to remove some or all of my tangs. this is in a 500g system!! goes ta show ya.hope it works out

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    research shows that clown tangs are pretty much doomed from the get go. there so much harder to keep than the sohals [relative].
    clowns are one of those fish that really should not be in the trade.
    also, if it does survive, remember these fish are MEAN MEAN. I added a sohal a few weeks back and I now have to remove some or all of my tangs. this is in a 500g system!! goes ta show ya.hope it works out
    Thanks JR. Could you please post a link to the info your talking about clowns being doomed from the start, Im intrigued, there must be a reason why Ive had so much trouble with this fish?..

This guy is now steadily eating film algea on the rocks. I changed my XM 15k to a venture 5k and now with way more algea to feed him, I feel theres a bit of hope..

I know what you mean about these guys being agressive, hes the only tang in my system(curently 75) and I plan to upgrade to 200ish gal in the next month or so. This clown is being pushed over a bit by my bellus. Hes still at wuss size..

Smile

go to either REEFCENTRAL or GOOGLE and type in CLOWN TANG. you'll get all the info you need. if he does survive he'll grow VERY fast and even a 200g tank might be to small. they motor all the time and a 8 foot tank is highly recommended. hope it works out.

liv
    link:
    http://animal-world.com/encyclo/mari.../ClownTang.php

its definitly an aggressive tang and needs a big tank for sure.. they reach almost 1' in lenght !

Quote Originally Posted by liv
    link:
    http://animal-world.com/encyclo/mari.../ClownTang.php

its definitly an aggressive tang and needs a big tank for sure.. they reach almost 1' in lenght !
    C'mon, I knew at least that much about these tangs

I was hoping to get info that would back up what JR was saying about them being doomed from the go, mainly hoping that such info would also perhaps give a few tips on how to do your best at keeping him...

Thanks JR. Ill look on RC or google. In the meantime a link to a particular thread you have seen with this info would be appreciated. I guess from what I hear/read putting a sohal or clown with other tangs is prety much a recipe for disaster. Hopefully you dont have to take out ALL your prized fish to keep your sohal. Hope it all works out for you.

My tang is deffinatly swimming around ALOT. Very active fish. I can see how one of these at adult size could be all over a 200 gallon tank at once!!! Hopefully all will be ok, I dont plan to have other tangs so all should be fine especialy if hes the last fish added...

Clown tang has taken to eat off the nori clip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast