Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dropping light intensity for summer months - alternative to chiller

I am running dual 400W MH (along with 2 110W VH0) over a 125 short. I set it up mid August last year and had to ping pong lamps (one on one day, the other on the next) with fans running full bore and the front of my canopy opened up to keep the tank from overheating (I don't have central air - just big window shakers - and cannot get it because my house doesn't have forced air).

I was thinking about a chiller for this summer but am now thinking that perhaps an alternative would be to drop the lighting down to dual 175W MH for the summer months. All I would need is a ballast and a couple bulbs so it would be considerably cheaper than a chiller and as an added bonus my hydro bill would move in the right direction.

I was also thinking perhaps just a 4 x T5 fixture but I am worried that the drop in light intensity would be too traumatic for the tank.

Anyone have any experience/ideas?

Do you have a window air conditioner in the room the tank is in?

I have experience with this. Durring the summer Ive droped photoperiod down from 8hrs a day to 3 or 4 depending on how hot it is. I also try to run the MH's durring the coolest part of the day what ever that may be. I realy doubt you can have native effects from doing this.

Putting a room air conditioner like Rob mentioned could also be good and less hassle.

HTH
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Why not just get a chiller?
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

oooooooooooooooops never mind
    How hot does it get in your fish room? because if it's hot in there a chiller won't really do much for you. I would get an AC unit.
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

you'd be fine with 175w MH or T5 lighting. 400w MH does put off some heat and so does a chiller [into the room]

BTW - I can't put an air conditioner in the room - the only window is a 100 year old painted shut extremely large double hung window facing the street - would look like hell even if I could do it...

liv
    like Jonny said.. i'd go t5's for the long period and reduce the daily dose of metal halides.

:biggrinbo Your tank must come first. Cut a hole in the wall and install and air conditioner and make sure it's big enough to make you comfortable as well. :biglaugh2 :hysterica

ToX
    there are AC wall unit. you just need to drill a hole to pass the tube that goes to the compressor outside. They are really powerfull. That way you stay cold and your tank to!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast