Question about pumps

Hi and good evening all.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a Beckett 5000 (plastic and metal)(5000gph @ 1' lift) pond pump as a sump pump for my SW sump tank.

and yes they do say they are oil free and fish safe and quiet as well

I also Have a laguna (plastic) pond pump 3600 (1100gph) power jet pond pump and was wondering if anyone knows if I could use this as a sump pump for my SW sump tank.

and yes they do say they are oil free and fish safe and quiet as well

the tanks are 90 g and the sump tanks will be at least 75 g tanks with ProteinSkimmer AREA, BAFFEL AREAs X3 spaced @ 1" from tops and bottoms and 2" apart is this right (what are the proper distances), CENTER AREA, AND REFUGE AREA. nothing is concrete yet .

any ideas or comments on this topic would be greatly appreciated and yes they do say they are oil free and fish safe and quiet as well so what do you all think.

cheers

Dale
    90g: empty finally drilled and bulkheads installed

90g Diamond: FW African Tanganykan 6 alto calvus Yellows, 6 cypri lepto jumbo Blue Orchids, 1 synadontis Magara bomix white sand and several pieces of construction type rock basic grey.

20g SW reef (just started) 2 clowns,1 royal gamma some hermits, some snails, a couple of mushroom colonies, a couple of zoo colonies, a hammer colonie and an octospawn colonie:

If they are the ones I'm thinking of the only real concern would be what the shaft is made of. Unfortunately there is a difference between fish safe and saltwater safe. It is likely that the pump has a steel shaft and would quickly begin to rust. I would do a bit more research on this pump before using it.

The Beckett 5000 pump is mostly plastic with some metal and it may be to powerful for what I need it for.

and The Laguna 3000 power jet is completely plastic so I think it would be safe I sent a request for info to both Beckett and Laguna whichis owned by Hagen so I will see what they say soon.

But if any body knows please feel free to expalin or whatever ok.

Thanks

Dale

90g Diamond: FW African Tanganykan 6 alto calvus Yellows, 6 cypri lepto jumbo Blue Orchids, 1 synadontis Magara bomix white sand and several pieces of construction type rock basic grey.

20g SW reef (just started) 2 clowns,1 royal gamma some hermits, some snails, a couple of mushroom colonies, a couple of zoo colonies, a hammer colonie and an octospawn colonie:

Are you going with 3 seperate sumps, or one big one? If you are going with the single sump, you could use the larger pump split 3 ways to return to all 3 tanks, but you would still have to throttle it back a fair bit. The laguna is still pretty powerfull for a single 90 gallon return, but you could make due. That said, I can't say whether either of those pumps are saltwater safe or not. Some more research into the construction of those pumps is definitely in order.

For the baffles, I spaced mine 1" apart, with the center baffle 1" off the bottom of the tank, and about 3" higher than the other two ... it seems to be working si far. Whatever you go with, make sure to leave a couple inches above the baffles to hold all extra water in the system in case of a power failure (don't put them all the way to the top of the sump).