Thread: Dam Zenia!!!!

Dam Zenia!!!!

Hello I have three quick questions:

-One How is it possible to get rid of xenia from our tanks.

-Two, I seen somewhere before that home depot sells some kind of epoxy that we can use in our tanks. you know the two part stuff that you kneed together and is salt water/fishy/coral friendly.

-And three how can I get a maroon clown out of my tank. I go in to clean out some of the xenia and the frigger bites me!!! Now the xenia is way out of control because I value my skin too much to go in there and cut it out. Any help would be great.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Just curious if you mean xenia or anthelia ?
    Xenia grows in stocks, while anthelia has grows over the rock in a carpet like fashion (like green star polyps).
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

when u remove the xenia, dont' cut the xenia itself. As i'm sure u realize, any tissue left behind on the rocks will simply regrow itself into a full stalk of xenia in a few weeks. Take a sharp and thin scissors, and cut/chip at the rock base of the xenia... sorta like skinning the rock to get the xenia out if u know what i mean. This way you'll get the whole xenia out without tissue left behind to regrow. The xenia "frag" will also be happier not being cut directly on itself, and u can sell them for some cash.

hum... buy a pair of shoulder-length gloves.... or grow thicker skin
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

I'm talking about xenia. Dam stuff looks like a forest in BC. I've had some good luck with pulling it off. If you get a good hold of it you can pull it right off the rock . Well that was before Satin fish started to bite me!! I might have to buy a set of them coral life gloves.
    I still never found the puddy epoxy at Home Depot. I did find dome stuff in the plumbing sectioin but it said that it had steel in it. But then it also said that it was used to repair pools, boats, stuff like that. Who knows.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

u can get 2 part epoxy resin from fish store... if that's what u have in mind.... from $12-20 or so.
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

I don't have a nasty clown biting me but if you do get him out I simply pick at the base of the xenia (right where it meets the rock) with my thumbnail. Eventually (couple minutes max) the xenia lets go - no problem - often no residue.

Another thing you can do if you want to sell frags is put a bit of rubble tight against the base of the xenia. Eventually (days to weeks) the xenia stalk will attach itself to the rubble. Once this happens you can do the thumb pick thing to the part that is still attached to the base rock (not the rubble). Once it releases you have a xenia frag attached to rubble!

I don't know what it is about xenia and success. Some people don't seem to be able to grow it, some have too much. I fall into the too much category.

I have 30x flow and 400W MH. I do 7% waterchanges weekly so I suspect I never limit on a key nutrient (I hear they like iodine). In my previous tank I had significantly less light, similar waterflow and similar waterchanges and my xenia did well too.

Anyone else have any observations one way or another - it would be an interesting bit of information if we could collectively figure it out...

hey mike, Aqua Pets in the brookside mall has some of the aquarium epoxy you are looking for. I'm not sure of the prices, but I was in last night and noticed they had a few packs of it in.

hope this helps,
    Sean
    My 75 gallon Reef Diary: http://blog.seanmcg.com/?cat=13&submit=GO

75 Gallon AGA, 25 gallon sump, Mag 7 & Lifereef Overflow, 80lbs of Tonga Deepwater, 2 x 250w 14000K MH, 2 x 110w VHO actinics, Moonlights, Coralife Super Skimmer 3002, 3 x Maxijet 1200 on a Wavemaster Pro

Awesome thanks!! I'm on the way over there now
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

There is 2 different kinds, white and pink. I have used the standard stuff that dries white and it sticks out in the tank and doesn't seem to grow coraline well. My whole tank was pink/purple this stuff is still white. The other stuff dries to a pink/purple color to blend with the rocks better.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.