How do I remove polyps from LR?

I have a few colonies of button polyps (Protopalythoa) that are taking over the live rock in my tank. Polyps are also popping up in the substrate and on some corals, such as the hard branch of a Torch Coral (Euphyllia glabrescens). Does anyone know how I can get the polyps off of the areas were i do not want them without harming the surrounding or host coral. Thanks, Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

ijo
    Be careful when handling polyps... they are very toxic. One thing i found to work was joes juice... they seem to smother the polyps.

IJO

Ivan, toxix to other fish and coral?
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

ijo
    To yourself... there was a thread or link on here somewhere around here but I can't seem to find it. You should wash your hands and put any towels used in the wash after handling these polyps. I'll keep looking and post the link when I find it.

IJO

Injecting a concentrated solution of Calcium hydroxide has worked well for me or if you have time slowly peeling them off.

I second IJO's comment, the chemicals toxin produced from polyps are toxic to humans.......considering it's a neuro toxin in humans it's possible that it might also be a neurotoxins to fish.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by SnelgroveReefer View Post
    Ivan, toxix to other fish and coral?
    there was a guy who poured boiling water on some poyps and wound up in the hospital for 2 weeks, inflamed nasal and throat.

ijo
    I havent noticed any effects to corals or fish when handling polyps... but i have felt a little wierd a few times(not sure if it was my paranoia or the polyps... could be either as the mind plays some wierd games at times)

IJO

The toxin you're referring to is palyotoxin, and most polyps will not have it or in a high enough concentration to affect you. In fact the Palythoa toxica is the only species known to contain it but a proper ID isn't always easy. There are many palythoa in the trade that do not contain the toxin and there are theories that the toxin is simply from concentrating the dinoflagellate (Ostreopis siamensis) toxins.

To be honest I've never used any protection when fragging and never had any issues. However better safe than sorry I guess.
    You only do what you know because you don't know better.

If you want to remove ALL polyps/zoos from your tank you can also get some sundial snails. These are a predatory snail that only feed on the zoos. Good if you want a pure LPS/Sps reef.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Not to go against the grain Rob but that's a drastic approach. Granted it would work but the possible side effects might prove unpleasant. There is the die off factor (unless you can recollect them, good luck) and the 'if you miss one' to consider as it would make the tank a zoa free zone for some time, but I guess that's why you said pure LPS/SPS. I can't remember off hand what the starvation time is, 2-3 months keeps coming to mind.

Although sundials may be a viable way of getting rid of the polyps you might want to keep it as a last resort.
    You only do what you know because you don't know better.