Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good or Bad Crab?!?!?! (PIC)

Hi,

Just saw this guy and was lucky enough he was in an accessible rock that I was able to pluck it and him out of the main tank.

He's a good 1.5 inches body dia (without counting the legs). Looks mean but didn't bite. I don't kill animals so he will be living in my sump for now...is he good or bad?!?!?! :confused-

Thanks

I would love to know also. I have had one living in our tank for two years now. I spot him only at night when I exmine the tank with a flashlight. Hopefully someone may have an idea.
    D.
    Outside of a Dog,
    A book is man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx

claw and body looks like an emerald crab, maybe is a variation or subspecies, i would be cautious and put it in the sump though, it'll be plenty happy there

at first I was mixing him up with our lone emerald crab but then i realized he was much to big to be our emerald crab. He's kinda cute in a menacing way!

Looking at both claws I would say it's ok.
    However, now that you have him out, to the sump he should go. Unless you know for certain, assume bad.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

he's much more shy and elusive then my emerald though. When he sees us or feels movement against the tank he immediately hides...whereas the emerald doesn't pay any need to us humans. I actually hand food to my emerald, it is the cutest sight as he reaches out to my finger for the bit of shrimp!!

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    He doesnt look bad imo either, but i wouldnt take the risk. To the sump he goes!

Emerald crabs can really vary though. Some can be very shy while others are not. Do you have any greenery in the tank? Try feeding him some nori or macro algae and see if it goes green again. IF it is an emerald it should gobble it up right away.

crab

No, he's definitely another crab since I see my emerald (which I got from you Redbelly!) right now....and the tan/black guy is in the sump. He's also almost twice the size of my emerald. I'll try that...right now I just threw him in the sump and will be giving him algea pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by redbelly
    He doesnt look bad imo either, but i wouldnt take the risk. To the sump he goes!

Emerald crabs can really vary though. Some can be very shy while others are not. Do you have any greenery in the tank? Try feeding him some nori or macro algae and see if it goes green again. IF it is an emerald it should gobble it up right away.

The crab should probably go in the sump, like most. For every one that you can find there are ten you didn't.

Is that a starfish in front of it, if so it looks a lot like the sps killing kind documented on garf.org

no, that's just a small piece of live rock that broke off into the bin. If there are other crabs as long as they are small then no problem...but this guy is big. My tank is a 90 gal (so not too big) and thus hopefully I have found all the big crabs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast