Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problems with venting heat from MH outside

I decided to go to home depot to buy a fan like the type used in bathrooms to remove moisture after a shower for my closet where my fish tank is located to help my heat issues.

The guy at home depot did not want to sell it to me because I told him it would be on 24/7. He said I would have problems with CO2 buildup because too much air would be pulled out of the house without getting replaced with fresh air.

Do I need to get an air exchanger installed in my attic to make this work?
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    I decided to go to home depot to buy a fan like the type used in bathrooms to remove moisture after a shower for my closet where my fish tank is located to help my heat issues.

The guy at home depot did not want to sell it to me because I told him it would be on 24/7. He said I would have problems with CO2 buildup because too much air would be pulled out of the house without getting replaced with fresh air.

Do I need to get an air exchanger installed in my attic to make this work?
    I dont know about what that guy told you. Basicaly if air is being sucked out then other air is replacing it from somewhere. I doubt that one of these bathroom fans can create a vacuum in your house leaving only CO2. Sounds a bit weird...

Idealy you want to EXCHANGE the air in your closet and replace it with cooler air.

I would think that you dont realy need to put this air outside. JUst exchange it from WITHIN your house. Your basement being THE best place within your house with slightly cooler air. Unless of course your lady likes to have basement air at 78 also. :wink5:

Put a fan in your basement, pump cooler air into your closet, let it vent into your house through the cracks of the closet door etc.

BTW the best fans are the inline gray colored fans found at a grow shop. You can put a dimmer switch on them and regulate the ideal speed. Other thing is they are WAY more silent than Bath fans.

Im prety sure that outing warm/moist air into your attic is not recomended, could lead to big problems.

I hope you find an answer to your dilema.

For a 90 gallon, you shouldnt have to go to the extent of getting an air exchanger unit. Im positive there is an eazier way.

Good luck!
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Thanks for the advice.

I have a 40g breeder tank for my sump and it covers most of the floor in my closet. I dont have room to cut holes to push air from my basement into the closet.

The only option I have is veting from the attic and tie into the vents up there. I would never just dump the air into the attic, that's just asking for moisture problems.
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

I tried one of those fans, *which is for sale*, it wasn't big enough for the amount of evaporation the system does. I installed an air exchanger but use it to only exhaust the air from the sump room outside, it keeps that room at 55-60% and the rest of the house at around the same.

So, if you have a passive vent on your gas or oil burners (hot water or furnace), you could setup a vacuum that pulls the exhaust fumes back into the house.

But, if you have it properly installed you will also have a fresh air intake near the appliances.

As well, if you don't have a passive vented system (electric or high efficiency), you would be very hard pressed to suck any C02 back into your home.

Depending on your situation, you might be able to leave a passive return to the closet and have the fan push air out.

My other concern would be the quality of the vent fan. Most bathroom fans are not designed for 100% duty cycle. You would probably need to either reduce it to 5 minutes / hour (or some such) or get a better quality slower fan.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

There were two exhaust fans I was looking at. One was a standard but not cheap ($180) it was near silent and flows 200cfm. The other was an inline fan that goes in-between the piping. it was 100% silent but only flows 110cfm.

I would probably be fine with the 110cfm inline unit since it does not pull out too much air. I also have an air exchange installed in my house that I leave on 24/7. I will try and find out how many CFM that sucker flows to see if it can compensate.
    Click For Pictures

I found the specs on my air exchanger. It's a DirectAir EAPW 90.

So it flows 90cfm.
    Click For Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    Thanks for the advice.

I have a 40g breeder tank for my sump and it covers most of the floor in my closet. I dont have room to cut holes to push air from my basement into the closet.

The only option I have is veting from the attic and tie into the vents up there. I would never just dump the air into the attic, that's just asking for moisture problems.
    Yeah, people use to vent driers through their soffits :errr:

The main reason Im telling you to take your basement air to replace your closet air is because your basement air will remain consistantly cooler than the rest of your house (technicaly speaking) Also to avoid competition with a furnace, air exchanger, fire place, bathroom fan, kitchen fan etc.

Also, attics get realy hot in the summer.

Sucking air out of the closet and into the attic through a pipe that could exhaust to the exterior could work. But chilling a tank with your warm house air might not be very effcient...

IME getting a bigger fan and slowing the speed down is THE most silent way to opperate.

HTH

Thanks Cres. Now I see what you mean about passive vents and sucking co2 into the house. Makes sence.

Quote Originally Posted by cres
    So, if you have a passive vent on your gas or oil burners (hot water or furnace), you could setup a vacuum that pulls the exhaust fumes back into the house.

But, if you have it properly installed you will also have a fresh air intake near the appliances.

As well, if you don't have a passive vented system (electric or high efficiency), you would be very hard pressed to suck any C02 back into your home.

Depending on your situation, you might be able to leave a passive return to the closet and have the fan push air out.

My other concern would be the quality of the vent fan. Most bathroom fans are not designed for 100% duty cycle. You would probably need to either reduce it to 5 minutes / hour (or some such) or get a better quality slower fan.

If you have an air exchanger installed in your house. you need not worry about this co2 nonsense. This machine automatically compensates the vacuum ratio in your house, (if it was properly installed). Also, this is only something to worry about if your house is very air tight, which is only if the house was properly built within the last 15-20 years. Old houses have so many drafty spots, they don't need air exchangers at all, fresh air is always coming in from all over...
    I'd go with earlier advice with figuring out a way of drawing the cooler air from the lowest part of your basement by means of ductwork/flexible piping by an exhaust fan that brings it to this sump area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast