Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two Maroons in a 55 with BTA.

I have seen some large Maroon Clowns, but would like to get two for my 55. Would two small Maroons outgrow my 55? I also plan on adding a BTA.

Leafster
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

It would depend on what else was in the tank with them. Maroon clowns can be very aggressive and can grow to 6 inches. If you could find a mated pair I can't see too much trouble in a 55.

ATC
    You could start with the itty bitty ones from Steve and they should pair up on thier own...same as the percs everyone has.
    Aven

Ya, that was my plan. I have two ordered from Steve for the Dec. 7th meeting. I'm hoping to have my BTA by then too.
    Leafster

What an easy decision...

Well if you don't get a BTA by then, maybe we can haul out one from Susan's tank while we are there. She has three!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

If anyone can figure out how I can get some of my BTA's out of my tank I will gladly reward them with one of them! I have four altogether. I want to keep one for my clowns and have promised one to Barry and another to Norris. I've tried several times now without any luck and Norris has tried twice too. I suspect the rockwork of the lagoon would have to be dismantled and I'm not willing to do that. I don't know what I'll do if they split again though. I started out with just one!
    Susan

Leafster I hate to rain on your parade but maroons do not pair up like percs or others. Getting too small ones will probably end up with one killing the other. You should get a bigger one and then one that is at least half as small or smaller. Add the large one first and then shortly after add the small one. This way has had the most sucess.
    Lynn

hmmmm... interesting. Maybe I shouldn't then. I read that Maroons love the BTA. I had planned on getting a BTA and since Steve was selling the Maroons I would try two of them. The BTA I was getting was from Andrew at Aquria Quest, but the BTA isn't doing too well after wedging himself between two rocks. I now may get a Carpet Anemone. If so, I would like to get two clarkis or two of the Perks. Does anyone here have experience with Carpet Anemones?

Thanks!
    Leafster

What an easy decision...

I haven't owned a carpet but I did a bit of research on them some time back when I was considering one. They aren't as easy to keep as a bubble tip or long tentacled anemone but, with the proper conditions, can be done. They have a FAR better chance in a mature tank though. The thing that made me decide against them was their reputation for eating fish. Not the clowns that host in them - other fish in the tank. I read quite a few accounts of this.
    Susan

Susan is right.
    Another thing is that carpets can become rather big too and might end up taking all the space in your whole tank. If it does this, it will sting everything it's expanding over. There are some really nice colors though. I personally wouldn't get one as my real estate can be put to better use, even in a much bigger tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast