Question am i overfeeding

i ran into some problems with my phosphate remover and some of my clams and have had to stop using it. the problem is now the algae is starting to come back.

i tested my RO/DI in my reservoir and the TDS has come up to 2. i am changing the pre-filters and DI resin today but i don't think this is the problem. my skimmer is a euro-reef RS250 with the gate valve mod., total system volume is about 160g and i do monthly 40g water changes. i have chaeto in my refugium that is lit 14hrs and a RDSB.

fish: purple tang, 2 false percs, 2 green reef cromis, three stripe damsel, six line wrasse, green mandarin, lawn mower blenny.

inverts: 30 asst. snails ( astraea / nassarius / cerith ), 30 blue leg hermits, 10 zebra hermits, 2 fighting conchs, 3 serpent stars, purple linkia

EDIT: missed a couple 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 emerald crabs

food:

daily ( three hours apart )

1 pinch ( dime size ) Omega One marine flakes
    1 pinch ( dime size ) Ocean Nutrition prime reef

three times a week

1 1/2" x 3" nori

twice a week

15 ml phyto
    1/4" of frozen Cyclop-eeze bar

once a week

1 cube Hikari mega marine algae ( in 3 or 4 servings on saturday )

1 silverside or some mysis or a few krill ea. for the anemones but i watch and make sure they eat it.

do you think i'm over feeding?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    i say it looks fine.. i'm not a fan of flake food, but thats personal choice.
    i've read in the past that they were not the greatest regards to phosphates.
    anything not being eaten before it hits the floor ?

your mysis etc.. if its frozen, make sure you unthaw it all and rinse it throughly in rodi before feeding, that is where i got my phosphates from in the past.

hope this helps.

It seems to be alright to me as well.

Where is the algae appearing? Your picture shows it on the clam but were else? On the sand or live rock? In areas of high or flow flow?

If the phosphate remover is not compatable with the clams, and with the removal of the phosphate remover media, the issue is the return of phosphates.

Two suggestions:

First, you can increase your skimming to help in nutrient export.

The second is to harvest your chaeto from the refugium more often ( you don't say how often you do). By keeping the chaeto in constant vegetative growth, it will always be absorbing nutrients to fuel its growth and then compete with the undesirable algae.

Keep us informed.

ChemLife

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    anything not being eaten before it hits the floor ?

your mysis etc.. if its frozen, make sure you unthaw it all and rinse it throughly in rodi before feeding, that is where i got my phosphates from in the past.
    very little makes it to the bottom, just tiny little pieces that the crabs / shrimp and nassarius quickly devour. yes i rinse the frozen cube and mysis ( not the cyclop-eeze or silversides or krill )

Quote Originally Posted by ChemLife View Post
    It seems to be alright to me as well.

Where is the algae appearing? Your picture shows it on the clam but were else? On the sand or live rock? In areas of high or flow flow?

Two suggestions:

First, you can increase your skimming to help in nutrient export.

The second is to harvest your chaeto from the refugium more often ( you don't say how often you do). By keeping the chaeto in constant vegetative growth, it will always be absorbing nutrients to fuel its growth and then compete with the undesirable algae.
    the algae is mostly on the clam and a few rocks. definitely the lower flow areas, i have about 35x flow but none is directed towards the clams.

when you say increase skimming do you mean skim wetter / drier or upgrade. i don't think the skimmer is the problem and it is rated for a much larger tank. i clean it twice a week ( when i dose the phyto and cyclop-eeze ) and it pulls very dark thick skimate.

the chaeto hasn't been growing much recently. i attributed this to the PO4 remover and RDSB keeping the nitrates / phosphates undetectable. but i try to keep it about the size of a baseball.

the algae actually looked a little better yesterday, half the clam was clean. probably just the crabs.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery