GSM

How to move a tank.

Hi All,

I need your advice.

I need to move my 75g setup while we put in new flooring. Its been running since Feb this year.

I have 2 spare 20g (the old setup) that I plan to use to store the coral (mostly LPS and Zoo's) while the floors are being done. I'll put the light fixture from my 75g above both of these tanks. (Thanks again for the great fixture Ivan! It works great!)

I'll store the live rock in rubbermaid tubs (about 160lbs). Should I put a heater and pump in the tubs? I expect the job to take about 2 weeks.

I don't know what to do about the sand bed(all aragonite, sml/med grain). I've heard nightmare stories about disturbing the sand bed but this tank has only been running for a few months with only 5 chromis.

Any suggestions/advice?

I'd also like to get the 75g drilled while its empty - are there local members that do this or can anyone suggest a store that can help?

Thanks,

Greg

I just bought a 90 and moved it.

Depends on where you live on whether you need a heater in with your rock or not (climate and temp). I live in the Kingston area and had the rock in rubbermaids for 3 days with out a heater and all seemed to be fine. Just make sure you have a PH going in there.

I also took all of the sub out to move the tank. After day one it started to smell, therefore I washed it really well with hot water. Maybe killed a lot of good stuff but better to start over than destroy everything.

I almost got my tank drilled to but then chidken'd out at the last moment and bought an overflow. Up to you tho but if you ever want to sell it (holes are like KMS on a used car.)

It has been one week since I bought the setup and tore it down. It has been running with fish for 2 days now and (knock on wood) no problems yet. All water tests come back with acceptable readings.

Good luck,
    Dean

You can ask LIV to drill your tank, he is a member of the Forum and I heard from others that he does a fantastic job.

GSM
    Thanks for the tips.

Any other advise/thoughts on whether or not moving a 5 month old sand bed will cause issues?

Quote Originally Posted by GSM View Post
    Any other advise/thoughts on whether or not moving a 5 month old sand bed will cause issues?
    You didn't say if it is a DSB or SSB?

If you can move the tank with the sand undisturbed and in a little water and it is only for 1-2 days you will probably be okay.

If you cannot move it (it gets heavy fast) with the sand in or will be a week or more then I would either wash the sand out very well or sell it and buy new sand.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    You didn't say if it is a DSB or SSB?

If you can move the tank with the sand undisturbed and in a little water and it is only for 1-2 days you will probably be okay.

If you cannot move it (it gets heavy fast) with the sand in or will be a week or more then I would either wash the sand out very well or sell it and buy new sand.
    Thanks Rob - the sand bed is roughly 2-3 inches deep in a 48" long x 18" deep tank. The tank will need to be out of action for roughly two weeks.

I built a massive stand to hold the tank so will need to remove as much weight as possible to move it.

It's looking like I'll be investing in a new sandbed - $100 is probably money well spent vs crashing the tank and losing all the livestock.

If you are game to spend a little money why not buy a second 65-70G tank (you can probably find one used on usedottawa.com or ovas and just transfer everything (water included but lose the sandbed) into the backup tank - run it bare bottom for the couple weeks and then transfer everything back into the real and now drilled tank and sell the second tank?

If, for whatever reason, the floor takes longer than expected, you are safe pretty much indefinitely.

Re: Drilling

PM groupie2.
    He came over to do mine at no charge.Just pay the time/tool.
    Great guy and nice work.

Good luck!