Zoanthids Killing My brain

I have a beautiful favia brain that I have had for six years now. I bought a silly little zoanthid frag for $10 and wedged it into a crack in the rocks. My current is so strong it blew the zoo along until it wedged itself under my brain. In a matter of hours it started to burn the brain and once I noticed it I moved it. It has been several days now and the damage on the brain continues to spread. I don't want to loose this coral, especially over a $10 frag that has now disappeared in the tank. Anybody have any ideas as to how to stop the damage from spreading further? See pic below. Note tese pictures were taken a few years apart.

180 gallon reef. 230 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with increasing numbers of SPS. Desjardini Tang, Purple Tang, Powder Blue, Heniochus, Ocellaris clowns, chromis and a mandarin. 3- 250 watt 10000K metal halide lights with 2 VHO actinics.

Sorry Gerry, I Would love to help you but I have no clue what to say...
    If there is something you can do to avoid that... I would love to know the answer

Hey Gerry,

Looks like nobody replyed to your problem... How it the brain doing up to know ? I would try to break it in 2 piece or Cut it ! That would probably help a bit... it should start growing back with time.

FRAG THE BRAIN

Keep me posted...

Hi Mike. I posted this same question on OVAS and Reef Central. I got some replies with people saying to dremmel, chisel, hammer or saw it. One guy said to try to cut back from the receding edge about 1/4 inch with a razor blade and peel off the dying flesh. I liked that idea the most, but a friend of mine convinved me to let it go a day or two and see if the dying edge stopped. I compared the picture I took yesterday with the coral today, and I am hoping it has stopped. I am not sure, tomorrow might help to see if it has or not. I will keep you posted.
    180 gallon reef. 230 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with increasing numbers of SPS. Desjardini Tang, Purple Tang, Powder Blue, Heniochus, Ocellaris clowns, chromis and a mandarin. 3- 250 watt 10000K metal halide lights with 2 VHO actinics.

it doesn't seem to have brown jelly infection so I would also say leave it be.
    it might even regrow if algea doesn't set in first.

ijo
    How did everything turn out?

So not only can the neurotoxin from zooanthids have a really bad effect on the nervous sytem with our brains, it doesn't go well with brain corals either And that is a really nice round looking piece. I woudln't wanna split it.

It has been a few days now and it seems the damage has stopped advancing. I am really happy I didn't take any power tools to this coral. I doubt that it will be able to regrow in time to cover the dead part before algae sets in as it is already starting to. I might try and take a toothbrush and keep the dead section clean until the coral can regenerate. Have a look at the link below, for some reason I can't seem to load the picture, so a kink will have to do. The left is the original picture I posted on Tuesday, the right is the coral today (Saturday). I apologize for the dirty glass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zoanthids Killing My brain-before_n_after.jpg