Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

External Overflow box - PICTURE

ReefVan had recently shown me a diagram of an external overflow box with a durso on it.

Here's a picture of an overflow that I found. No durso pipe, but still quite interesting...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Here's the diagram ReefVan had shown me.

My mistake, it wasn't and external overflow, but actually a little different as you'll see by the pic.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ijo
    ohhh.. I like the first one... thats neat!!!

I personally would not notch the actual pane of glass but instead cut it lower over the full length of the tank as discussed once with Toutouche.

Then if you wish you could add the external o/flow as shown in the pics. I'm personally convinced that with the tank full, these notchs will be a great spot for crack initiation when the pane bows under pressure.

If there are holes drilled as shown in the photo, that may perhaps be acceptable providing the edge distance (e.d) from the hole center to the edge of the pane is approx 2 x diameter. (2D)

I would also add a glass doubler in the back, using the same thickness glass as the pane, also having a 2D e.d on the holes with the doubler edges. Silicone in place.

Can you tell I do this for a living on jet aircraft .... :
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

I ordered an external overflow from IA on my 400 gal tank. There will be a cut out that is 2 inches deep and 17 inches across pane of glass. The tank is viewable from 3 sides so the notch will be on the back 30 X 30 inch pane.
    This is the way it is done on all large marine systems with external boxes.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

ijo
    very nice Reeferboy... can't wait to see this for myself. You will have to host another MASO meeting once your tank is settled and full of SPS

IJO

Originally posted by ReefVan
    Can you tell I do this for a living on jet aircraft .... :
    Now... why the heck would you be putting external standpipes on jets???!!!!!

Reeferboy,
    Yes.. many people do the teeth cutout thingy, but quite often it is done more on acrylic tanks.
    I had also discussed this with the tank builder who built my first tank. He has a fulltime business doing this and is the biggest tank builder in Quebec. He shuddered when I mentioned some people do this. He said anytime you cut an angle in a pane of glass, the corner becomes weak as all hell and any slight stress WILL snap sooner or later. I personally don't know why Mitch would comprimise the integrity of the whole tank doing this. What I will be doing on my tank and as Van mentioned is that the side where the box will be installed will actually be cut about 1" or 1 1/2" shorter ( haven't decided yet) and the box will be placed flush with the top of this pane. Where the box ginishes, I will then silicone a seperate strip of glass the rest of the length to bring it back up to the rest of the tank sides. I will then add a fishgate in the box.

Vince,
    below is a pic from Durso's website showing his version of an external Durso on a box.

is that a Rat is see above the overflow?
    Van? do you also put ReefRats on jet airplanes?
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    No, that's a SeaSwirl.

Could work,..... Mitch was under the impression that if the entire pane of glass was to be cut down the corners that were not at the same height would loose structural integrety. Which makes sense to me, you would have a pressure point on 2 corners where the glass wasn't attached.
    Having the Eurobracing just above the notch cut out will stop any possible flex that the 3/4 inch glass will have.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast