Thread: Pressure!!!

Question Pressure!!!

"Hello Nelson it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?"

This is an interesting first!

ijo
    I installed many forum hacks yesterday... this sounds like one of them. It has a lot of helpfull features(help new members navigate around the site, getting new members to return, old members who have not posted in a couple weeks etc etc.) I figured with the number of lurkers we have on the site.. this might help get them to register and/or post.

I have a few other idea's that I and the mods will share over the next few weeks.

IJO

Personally, I think it promotes useless "empty" posts, just to get rid of the message.
    IMO, if I don't have something different to add to a thread than already mentioned, or, if I don't have as much experience as others I would normally see replying to the type of thread, then I don't want to post.
    It's frustrating to see threads with repetitive or "empty" posts in them.

I think that it is good idea, what is the harm really? It is better then most email or messages that you get now.

I think that it will help keep the boards moving and get more new members involved and asking questions that they might think are dumb.

Thanks for the idea rayjay:

Empty post.

Banned
    My long time experience with forums has always shown that solicitiing posts (either via contests, post counter numbers, invitations, etc...) is usually counter-productive. The people who you want to post get put off by it and usually have added resolve not to post, while the people whom you don't necessarily want to post (i.e. empty posters) take full advantage of the offer.

ijo
    I don't think I would go as far as to classify this as soliciting posts(we are not spamming). It simply adds a header to a few pages on the site based on what type of visitor you are.

The script has many cool options... the main one being to help guide guests into becoming members and another that will only advertise(google ads) to non-registered members.

I doubt people will post just to get rid of the message(do you find it that annoying?) Look at it this way... if your surfing the site often... there is a good chance you like what you are reading... this script only encourages you to join in. If this is your first time to the site... the script will show you a few cool option registered members have(something regular members are not interested in reading)

IJO

I guess I should mention that my original comment was stricly "tongue in cheek". The new addition doesn't bother me at all. Just happy to have the site almost back to it's original form.