Thread: Metal Halides

Metal Halides

I am thinking of ordering from J&L , metal halide ballast ( stand alone ) 250W, bulb and pendant. Can anyone comment on whether this is the cheapest way to go ? I already have 2X65W power compacts and true Actinics ( Coralife ) .

I have a 30 g .

What are your thoughts on double ended bulbs vs the single ended ?
    How about the manufacturer of the bulbs and whether the ballasts is pulse start... etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My soft corals and LPS would appreciate it .

wow....250W would be a little overkill on a 30g tank. I had a 175W MH over my 30 gal and it was perfect. With 250W you may get coral bleaching (as I have experienced using 250W XM 10000K bulbs). you will also have heat issues and power wastage with no aquatic gain.

you can check out the local Hydroponics stores too (there is a good one a block West of MEC here in Ottawa). Pretty good setup and you are looking at about $150.

I may have a used black 175W MH pendant available if you are interested. PM if you want.

I would go with SE bulbs...easier to find and you don't need the UV glass protector. Also easier to install....I've know a few fellow reefers who broke their DE bulbs trying to install them.

You raelly don't need MH for softies and LPS but it doesn't hurt, you could go with 4 24" T5 setup, that would give you plenty of light....unless you like the MH shimmering effect.

Thanks for your thoughtful replies, Hebdo27. Your inbox is full !!!

I had my tank running for only a few months, and had acquired the compact flourescents / actinics which I liked , so perhaps a smaller halide might supplement the light / wavelength spectrum - you are probably right, 175 W should be good enough.

Yes, my concern is also about the temperature. I wonder how long my lights should be on. I have all sorts of crazy timers as well.

What sort of pendent do you have ? Is it one of those black ones ?

Ok, ok. My short term memory must be really bad. Yes, I am interested in your 175W black pendant, Hebdo27. Do you have a ballast that goes with it ? Feel free to private me.

inbox cleaned!

I would highly recommend the T5's over your tank. I have them over both my 120g and 40g tank and am very happy with them. They also run much cooler then my MH's (250's and 175's) used to. The only thing I don't have is the ripple effect, but any point source light will add a ripple.

If you really want the shimmer of the MH then I would personally go with the 250w and just raise them higher. There is a much better selection of units and also lamp choices for 250 vs 175.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.