Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smart hydro meter and lighting cycle changes

Just wondering if anyone has one of the smart hydro meters installed on their home from Ontario hydro? We're getting it installed (not by choice) soon. The concept is that you're charged more for electricity consumption during certain peak hours of the day vs. significantly less for consumption during off-peak hours.
    In Ottawa from May-October, they charge you 7.1 cents/kWh between 7am-11am, 9 cents/kWh between 11am-5pm, 7.1 cents/kWh between 5pm-10pm and 3.4 cents/kWh between 10pm-7am. This schedule changes from Nov-April (https://www.hydroottawa.com/smartmet...emplate_id=357)

I'm wondering if anyone has thought of switching their light cycles to accommodate the pricing and how they're going about it. I'm thinking about it but I obviously won't be turning my lights between 10pm and 7am unless I'm a sleepwalker. Anyone have any thoughts?

basically what they are doing is increasing your bill by a huge amount, unless you do shift work. you going from 5.3/6.2 to 7.1/9.7 cents and look at those great winter hours. it is the most expensive when everyone gets home from work and school etc.... :b9:

it really suck getting bullied by these huge businesses
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I couldn't agree more! I'm just wondering how I'm going to tackle this as $$efficiently$$ as possible.

9 cent a kilowatt hour! AWESOME...that's cheap as hell.

I pay 75 cents a kilowatt hour. I would love to pay 9 cents. I turn on one 15 watt power head for 24 hours a day, and a protien skimmer and a wet dry filter. And one 15 watt 11k for 12 hours a day, and that costs me 120 CI a month. (or about 140 US)

I can't imagine have metal halides and paying for them. On this island, NO ONE has metal halides. Becuase two 250 watt metal halides would cost you about 500 CI (which is actually about 700 US) a month at the least to run them.

So don't complain about 9 cents. I can't have hard corals ever. Or half the stuff you guys do. So count your blessings.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

ijo
    I guess they found another way to get more money from you without raising taxes... hehe :011:

LOL...funny.The Gov't will always have a trick in their hats or they are being more creative maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    I guess they found another way to get more money from you without raising taxes... hehe :011:
    my thought exactly :005:

just teasing, if they went that high here i would be looking into solar or wind power.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I don't think they're trying to rip people off. They don't want another huge blackout. They wan't people to be fully aware that the most expensive times are the most used times for hydro, which puts a huge strain on the system. A lot of people can use their hydro more wisely by making more things like dishwashers, and washing machines go on during the night. The only way to make people listen is through money. Keeping the rate the same all day long would still cause huge energy spikes during peak hours that could leave you in the dark for days, maybe even weeks. Hydro can ask you nicely not to suck back the power when you get home from work, but nobody will listen until they see their bill.

and biggunsar, just go out and buy your own wind turbine, at 75 cents a kwh, you can probably start your own hydro business for your neighbours for cheaper

Hey Biggunsar, why do you even bother keeping a tank when you have the entire scene in your backyard??? Give me a break man! I've been to Grand Cayman many times.....for the snorkelling and scuba diving. Its amazing. You can bet that if I lived there, I wouldn't even be interested in this web site. YOU should only be so lucky!!!

If you're really that reef-keeping crazy, maybe you can build a reef tank out of a small pool in your backyard and not have to worry about MH when you've got the sun beating down all day.
    :b2:.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    9 cent a kilowatt hour! AWESOME...that's cheap as hell.

I pay 75 cents a kilowatt hour. I would love to pay 9 cents. I turn on one 15 watt power head for 24 hours a day, and a protien skimmer and a wet dry filter. And one 15 watt 11k for 12 hours a day, and that costs me 120 CI a month. (or about 140 US)

I can't imagine have metal halides and paying for them. On this island, NO ONE has metal halides. Becuase two 250 watt metal halides would cost you about 500 CI (which is actually about 700 US) a month at the least to run them.

So don't complain about 9 cents. I can't have hard corals ever. Or half the stuff you guys do. So count your blessings.
    I can't even imagine paying 75 cents per kilowatt hour :b1:. Poor you, where is Cayman Islands any way ?
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast