Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Where are the reef police?

I can't take it anymore! I am in total disbelief that there are still people out there that have absolutely no regard for proper husbandry practices. I really can't understand how someone can be so ignorant as to go into the ocean and randomly grab rocks, corals, fish and anemones and stick them in a tank to die. There is no excuse for this with all the resources at our disposal in libraries, bookstores and of course online! I want to explode every time I read a post by some [edit by admin ... a little house cleaning] about how he has just grabbed an unknown anemone and put it in a 40 gal. with reg flourescent tubes!! Then, when someone tries to give good advice based on years of research and experience, they get defensive and refuse to listen! :b14: I wish there were some way of enforcing proper reefkeeping policies to ensure that these animals at least have a fighting chance for survival. To sit by and let someone sentence fish and corals to certain death is infuriating! What can we do?? :b8:

If you or I find a way to make some people use their brains ,we would be rich men.

These people I feel are the minority.Most want to learn and have their tanks progress.

Through forums such as this and local marine clubs,it has become much easier to be successful.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

Unhappy

yeh, feel your pain. I thought it was against certain laws to do that but I guess not?

I guess the real problem is that certain countries still haven't put restrictions on collecting from their reefs. Whenever I have gone diving down south in cozumel or Roatan, there are strict laws forbidding even touching the corals. I think the other countries without such protective laws should at least require permits for collecting, that way they can regulate how they are collected,how much is taken, and where the animals end up going.Kind of like a fishing licence in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by beertech View Post
    I can't take it anymore! he has just grabbed an unknown anemone and put it in a 40 gal. with reg flourescent tubes:b8:
    IMO, this is not the best choice for an example as when I first started in Jan 94, the first things I bought for the tank were a sebae anemone and sebae clown. Of course, lighting was NO lighting.
    I expanded to 10 systems totalling 590g plus sumps, and still, all the tanks were lit with NO lighting. My corals, clams, and anemones do just fine.
    IMO, there is nothing wrong with NO lighting as long as you use enough for what you are keeping. (I can fit 8 40W NO's over a 65,75 or 90, and 6 over a 55)
    Dr. Shimek when he had his old forum on RC, had a thread where he stated that as long as you feed the anemone for it's needs, then it will survive even if it has expelled its zooxanthella and lives in low light conditions. He wouldn't recommend it though as he prefers to supply lighting and AND feed the anemone as well.
    I recently changed a 90g tank from 8 40W NO's to 2 40W NO's plus 4 T5HO's overdriven by an IceCap 660 and using 4 IceCap SLR's.
    The light intensity is only a slight improvement over the 8 NO's that were originally there, with 4 of those NO' being overdriven by that same IceCap 660. Difference being, I pay a lot more for the T5 lamps than the GE Daylight 6500K lamps that I used before.

The big difference between you and the type of person I was refering to is that you have obviously done the required research and are aware of the specific needs of your specimens. I agree that my example wasn't the best choice, I was referring more to the habit of randomly grabbing anything within reach off the reef while snorkelling. This includes liverock with unknown corals on it, and juvenile fish that are quickly going to outgrow the tank and suffer. Not to mention that this guy hasn't indicated that he quarantines anything, and plans on returning the fish to the wild, causing further stress. As for intentionally keeping an anemone in an environment which would cause it to expell it's zooanthella, and forcing it to only survive on feeding, I wouldn't recommend it either. Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's right. In my opinion, the whole purpose of reef keeping is to maintain our specimins in the best health possible and maybe even allow them to reproduce in our tanks, so that the next collector doesn't have to purchase a wild caught coral or fish. I can't stand to hear someone say with pride that they are an expert with anemones," because I have had 3 of those in the last year". That just means they have killed 3. I wish people would stop thinking of this hobby as water gardening, and repect the occupants as living animals. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I just had to get this off my chest.I know the majority of people here are responsible, and hopefully the others will give up sooner rather than later.
    Gord.

I can't take it anymore! I am in total disbelief that there are still people out there that have absolutely no regard for proper husbandry practices. I really can't understand how someone can be so ignorant as to go into the ocean and randomly grab rocks, corals, fish and anemones and stick them in a tank to die. There is no excuse for this with all the resources at our disposal in libraries, bookstores and of course online! I want to explode every time I read a post by some [edit by admin ... a little house cleaning] about how he has just grabbed an unknown anemone and put it in a 40 gal. with reg flourescent tubes!! Then, when someone tries to give good advice based on years of research and experience, they get defensive and refuse to listen! :b14: I wish there were some way of enforcing proper reefkeeping policies to ensure that these animals at least have a fighting chance for survival. To sit by and let someone sentence fish and corals to certain death is infuriating! What can we do?? :b8:
    The big difference between you and the type of person I was refering to is that you have obviously done the required research and are aware of the specific needs of your specimens. I agree that my example wasn't the best choice, I was referring more to the habit of randomly grabbing anything within reach off the reef while snorkelling. This includes liverock with unknown corals on it, and juvenile fish that are quickly going to outgrow the tank and suffer. Not to mention that this guy hasn't indicated that he quarantines anything, and plans on returning the fish to the wild, causing further stress. As for intentionally keeping an anemone in an environment which would cause it to expell it's zooanthella, and forcing it to only survive on feeding, I wouldn't recommend it either. Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's right. In my opinion, the whole purpose of reef keeping is to maintain our specimins in the best health possible and maybe even allow them to reproduce in our tanks, so that the next collector doesn't have to purchase a wild caught coral or fish. I can't stand to hear someone say with pride that they are an expert with anemones," because I have had 3 of those in the last year". That just means they have killed 3. I wish people would stop thinking of this hobby as water gardening, and repect the occupants as living animals. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I just had to get this off my chest.I know the majority of people here are responsible, and hopefully the others will give up sooner rather than later.
    Gord.
    [edit by admin ... a little house cleaning]
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

ijo
    I originally closed this thread but feel we still have a chance to have some good come out of it... I went ahead and cleaned things up a bit while i was here...

A few words of advice
    Name calling will never get the return you/we are looking for(unless your looking for a closed thread) and aggressive advice is rarely ever taken... I think guiding/educating would better serve the love you have for these animals.

My thoughts on the subject...

This is a touchy one... we care so much about the animals yet we put them in tanks 1 millionth(sp?) the size they would be living in the wild... unfortunately most will die before their time. We experiment with hard to keep species with new foods/lighting/filtration... killing tens of thousands only to be able to finally keep them 'barely living/not thriving' in our home aquariums(keep in mind that these are my thoughts).

To care so much about the animals would mean to leave them in the wild(IMO)... I try my best to keep everything in good health but the real reason for keeping an aquarium is because I love the colors and complexity.... not the love.

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    I originally closed this thread but feel we still have a chance to have some good come out of it... I went ahead and cleaned things up a bit while i was here...

A few words of advice
    Name calling will never get the return you/we are looking for(unless your looking for a closed thread) and aggressive advice is rarely ever taken... I think guiding/educating would better serve the love you have for these animals.

My thoughts on the subject...

This is a touchy one... we care so much about the animals yet we put them in tanks 1 millionth(sp?) the size they would be living in the wild... unfortunately most will die before their time. We experiment with hard to keep species with new foods/lighting/filtration... killing tens of thousands only to be able to finally keep them 'barely living/not thriving' in our home aquariums(keep in mind that these are my thoughts).

To care so much about the animals would mean to leave them in the wild(IMO)... I try my best to keep everything in good health but the real reason for keeping an aquarium is because I love the colors and complexity.... not the love.

IJO

Thanks IJO. I read this thread and was like WTF..why is this guy attacking me?
    I could have taken the high road and said nothing. Yup. But I won't put up with that crap.

It's not like i am careless. And okay...im still learning. But I do care for the animals I have.
    christ, I thought I had too many emerald crabs in my tank and drove one crab back all the way to smith cove (15 min drive) and made sure he was placed in the water okay. If that doesn't show I care about the animals I have. Then anyone that says otherwise can go to hell.

there, I have said my peace and will say no more about this.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

At this point I dont want anything in my tank unless it's been in someone else's tank for at least a month, or aquacultured. I've lost too many living creatures that came straight from the ocean, and I dont know If i'm a murderer or not, who knows if they even like this synthetic salt. its just not right...

(now im in Texas and want to bring a lizard-gecko back with me, but that's probably not a very nice thing to do, take it from its habitat to stick it in an aquarium, but my dad's telling me they have no brain)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast