GSM

USHIO 250W DE 14K Questions

Hi everyone,

Is anyone using USHIO 14K bulbs? This is my first MH setup and I heard there is a break in period for new bulbs.

There weren't any instructions to follow but I heard you needed to leave them on for a least an hour after you've turned them on for the first time. Any guidelines to follow?

I also want to avoid bleaching my corals - mostly LPS. Any suggestions on timing?

By the way Ivan - the fixture I got from you is fantastic! (4 x 55w T5HO with 2 x 250 DE MH)

Thanks,

Greg

ijo
    Thats great news GSM... they are very well built!! as for the MH... I would start with 3 hours per day and increase this by an hour every week until they are on for 8 hours per day. if your in a hurry... you could make it an hour every other day but you might promote an algae bloom. Be ready to purchase more snails to help keep things under control...trochus snails are awesome!!... more expensive but well worth it(it took only 5 to take care of the diatom bloom in my wall aquarium)

IJO

Hey GSM, I'm using the Geismann 14.5K DE 250watt bulbs which Ushio makes for Geismann. The Ushio 14K bulb is supposed to be the same as the Geismann. I spoke to Jeremy at Premium Aquatics and said they are identical except maybe the Geismann is a little whiter.
    If they are the same bulb you will love it, tons of Par and a really nice crisp white with a hint of blue. My tank has never looked better than with these bulbs.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    Thats great news GSM... they are very well built!! as for the MH... I would start with 3 hours per day and increase this by an hour every week until they are on for 8 hours per day. if your in a hurry... you could make it an hour every other day but you might promote an algae bloom. Be ready to purchase more snails to help keep things under control...trochus snails are awesome!!... more expensive but well worth it(it took only 5 to take care of the diatom bloom in my wall aquarium)

IJO

Thanks for the advise! I'm seeing a small algae bloom - bigger issue is temperature, its creeping up to almost 31C.

GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by reeferboy View Post
    Hey GSM, I'm using the Geismann 14.5K DE 250watt bulbs which Ushio makes for Geismann. The Ushio 14K bulb is supposed to be the same as the Geismann. I spoke to Jeremy at Premium Aquatics and said they are identical except maybe the Geismann is a little whiter.
    If they are the same bulb you will love it, tons of Par and a really nice crisp white with a hint of blue. My tank has never looked better than with these bulbs.
    Thanks Reeferboy. The colour from these bulbs is fantastic - I highly recommend them. Now to get the temperate of my tank under control....

I have the Ushio 250W 10K bulbs. Mine are suggested to get at least 100h of burn in time before they burn at the correct intensity.