Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dishes for fishes

Ok, so by now everyone knows I'm anal over my fishies and tend to feed them a bit more than most. I'm curious about what y'all use for dishes to thaw their food and how you clean them.

I get up every morning and set out 3 or 4 (depending on if it's an anemone feeding day or not) little glass custard dishes I bought just for the fishies. In these I put frozen food for their three meals and add a dash of golden pearls, maybe a spray of garlic juice and/or a few drops of selco. I add a tiny bit of water, swirl each dish around, put a tinfoil lid on them and put them in the fridge so they'll be ready for each meal.

I rinse out the dishes after each use but after several days they get all filmy anyway. So a couple times a week I let them sit for several hours with some vinegar. They come nice and clean after that but it's a bit of a chore. I'm so tempted to just put them in the dishwasher but - and here's the question and whole reason for all this rambling - would the glass retain any dishwasher soap and if so, would that be bad for the fishes?

What do you guys do?
    Susan

I put mine in the dishwasher. They get well rinsed in there, and sterilized too. I have never had a problem and don't have to worry about bacteria.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

SUSAN

Glass is fine, plastic,I wouldn't.

ijo
    I use a shotglass... one shot for them... 2 for me... 1 for them... 3 for me *hickup*

IJO

Originally posted by IJO
    I use a shotglass... one shot for them... 2 for me... 1 for them... 3 for me *hickup*

IJO
    I'll bet you tell the bartender to keep bringing you 1 every 5 minutes, then.. when you pass out.. 1 every 3 minutes!!!

Susan,
    I sometimes don't have the time to feed the fishies so I just flip them a quarter so they can go out and buy a burger on their own. Once, the quarter that was sinking hit my purple tang on the head and knocked his glasses off... you should have seen the heck of a time he had trying to find them again!!! The shrimps kept rearranging the rockwork on him and he kept bumping into things. Needless to say, after this incident I don't do that anymore. Now, I just use a small 2" square tupperware container that I thaw the food out in, then rinse it right after feeding. I don't take any food out of it's packaging which is frozen until it's time to actually feed them.

ijo
    :lol: hahaha... your a hoot greg!!!

IJO

Why??? What's so funny?? I was serious!!!!

glass is not porus and will not absorb any soaps detergents or whatever. the only risk is if some of it is still on the glass. so after the dishwasher, you can just rinse it off yourself to make sure that there is no soapy film on in.
    greg, the purple tang should consider getting contacts. after all, he is in a permanent saline solution, so he wont even have to clean them!
    Albert
    My Photos

Susan

I use a small white dish dedicated to feeding the fish, and a won ton soup spoon to spoon it into the tank. I rinse it thoroughly with hot water after each use and they get washed in the dishwasher every week or two. I have been doing this for thirty years of fish keeping without ill effects.

Alrha,
    Now THAT'S funny!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast