Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Zookeeper's 120G In-wall Tank Build

I've been meaning to start this thread for a while.

First a little background.

I do not currently have a working tank in my home. I have a 55 gallon mixed reef in my office. This tank has been running for 6 years, has no sump, but rather uses a HOB skimmer, and a HOB refugium. So, while I have a fair bit of experience keeping a tank, I have have minimal experience setting up a larger sum-based system.....other than reading many threads on here since 2003.

I purchases my current home in 2004, which included an un-finished basement, and needed a fair bit of handywork both inside and out. My dream was to always get the basement finished and put in a decent sized in-wall aquarium. My girlfriend/common-law spouse insisted that many things get completed first, including the entire basement before getting started on the tank.

I'm proud to say that I am now working on the tank.

That's great to hear!

Don't forget pictures as you go...
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

awesome another tank build can't wait to see. On with the pictures I say. no detail is too small!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Awesome! If I had an unfinished basement (and money), my first priority would be determining where the big inwall aquarium will be going, and then start construction on the wall ... Keep floor drains in mind (for the almost certain likely hood of accidental floods and whatnot from the constant tinkering with new gadgets) and keep water plumbing in mind for RO/DI, and autotop off, and salt mixing, etc.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

In wall tanks are great, but on occasion you realize some things are just harder working from the back.

For instance, landscaping is crazy as you have to keep running around to the front to actually see what it looks like, and scraping algae is a pain (try scraping some off the back of your tank for practice)

Here is a link to some construction pictures of my 108G in wall tank.

Hey!!! That sucks!! I can't post a URL until I have 25 posts. Oh well, you will just have to image what it looks like. :b1:

Cool!!, I got the unfinished basement, but no time to work on the dang thing, I've been working out in the oil patch on a 6 on 2 off rotation, but when I get home I kinda lose interest on working at anything hehe, but I do have the layout I want in the basement, and I am building a 2 x 2 x 8 plywood tank inwall when I get the time, and interest to work on my basement. got plans for an entertainment room with a fish room off of it, hopefully I get it started this winter, considering i'm a certified Carpenter you'de think i'de be at it but NOOOOO =)

Tic
    I also got the go ahead for wifie =)
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    Awesome! If I had an unfinished basement (and money), my first priority would be determining where the big inwall aquarium will be going, and then start construction on the wall ... Keep floor drains in mind (for the almost certain likely hood of accidental floods and whatnot from the constant tinkering with new gadgets) and keep water plumbing in mind for RO/DI, and autotop off, and salt mixing, etc.
    The entire basement is now finished, and I did account for all of these things. The fish room area already had a floor drain, and easy access to overhead water lines (both hot and cold), as well as existing sewer access. It was very easy to install a wash tub right beside the tank, and I'll be putting the RO/DI unit right beside the wash tub this weekend (if I get time). I also had the eletrician give me plenty of outlets on seperate circuts.

I even had the forsight to install a ventallation/bathroom fan which I intend to hook up to a humidity sensor to make it automatically turn on should it become too humid.

Lastly, the area of the basement that I choose (for many of the above listed reasons), is realitively un-heated, meaning that it is always nice and cool in there (even now), and not terribly cold in the winter.

Ooops. Double post. A Mod can delete the first one. [Done]

Pictures of where I'm at will be coming. I took them last night after making the thread with the intention of posting them up, but didn't get to it. I should be able to get them up.

What is done:

Fish room is 90% finished. I need one more coat of paint on the floor, and decisions have to be made about finishing the ceiling (probably just a drop ceiling).

The tank stand is built, the tank is on the stand and the trim is finished on the viewing side of the wall.

The sump is a used 30 gallon, and I have put in the baffles.

Over the past couple of years I have made sure to check when I'm at Rona for the white aragonite based play sand. As such I already had the sand and it is washed and in the tank.

2 years ago I made a bunch of agrocrete (~50 pounds) and it has been curing in a clean garbage bin. It is ready to go and in the tank.

I aquired three barely used pumps. The first was a Mak 4 which I got from a guy in Montreal well over a year ago. This will be used for the closed-loop. I also obtained a Mag 7 for my skimmer and a Mag 9 for the return from a guy in Waterloo just a couple of weeks ago.

I have a Berlin skimmer which I got about 6 months ago on sale from Marinescape. It is supposed to be rated for 300 gallons.

Lastly, I have an Icecap 660 which I bought from a poster on this board a couple of years ago. If I remember, his name was "Principleskimmer" or something like that. I also got his endcaps and bulbs. So, initially, while I'm curing rock, and cycling I'll just run 4 VHO bulbs over the tank and later (probably the fall) add two 250W MH.

The plumbing for the drains is complete (although un-glued at this time). I used dual 2.5 inch drains (tank is drilled).

What is left to do:

Install the RO/DI unit that I got from Ivan a month ago, and start making water.

Do the plumbing for the closed loop, the return, and the skimmer. I'm going to need some ideas/help to do this.

Bulid some sort of unit that I can mount the light fixtures to, but also be able to easily remove, lift up, slide out of the way, so that I can access inside the tank.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast