Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Long Time No Post - Sad News

I'm sad to say that I lost my Vlamingi tang, a bicolor blenny and a royal gramma when my cucumber decided to see what the detrius in my sump tasted like and ended up diced up in the return pump.

:b11:

I did a 40 gallon water change when I noticed the water was cloudy and fish were breathing rapidly and at the surface of the tank. I was able to diagnose by the bits of cuke floating in the tank.

Unfortuantely, only my perc. clownfish survived. Corals were unaffected.

The one bright spot is my corals are all thriving with the reduced bio load in the tank. I will update with pics as soon as I can. Tiny frags from Johnny Rocks tank (thanks again!) have turned into full colonies.

Lesson learned re: sea cucumbers. They might be great for turning the sand bed, but not worth nuking my tank over
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

That Sucks, what kind of cuke?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Quote Originally Posted by reefsurfer View Post
    That Sucks, what kind of cuke?
    I had it eye balled as a black Knobby but unsure of the specific species. I'm nto sure if those ones are even toxic, but fair to say that the one that I had, most definately was

Sorry for the loss. My question is a bit off topic, but how did your royal gramma and bicolor blenny behave with eachother? I had the both of them, but the gramma really didn't like the similar colour pattern that my blenny had. they were always at war.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    Sorry for the loss. My question is a bit off topic, but how did your royal gramma and bicolor blenny behave with eachother? I had the both of them, but the gramma really didn't like the similar colour pattern that my blenny had. they were always at war.
    No problem.

My Gramma was definately the wanna be bully, would approach any fish and open his mouth real wide as per their MO. My tank is a 120, so there was lots of room for the blenny to hide, but I did notice the gramma would zero in on him on occasion, most likely due to the similar colours, but never did any harm.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I've heard so many tragic stories such as yours that I determined long ago that I wouldn't put one of those creatures in my tank, EVER!! The potential for disaster is far greater in my opinion than any benefit a cuc could possibly offer.

Thanks Nelson.

Like most things in this hooby, and very likely by extension, in life, I seem to need to learn everything first hand

I wouldn't put another cuke back in either. I'll go with more Nassarius Snails and better husbandry to keep my snad bed clean.

I'm going to go with a smaller bio load in general this time. I want to go with a CBB (have a few Aipstasia to clear out), a couple of bartletts, a goby (maybe yasha haze) and a husband for my perc. I really had to overfeed my tang in the 120 he was not a realistic fish at all.

I guess I'm going to learn first hand now how hard the CBBs are to domesticate now.

Pics to follow.

Full Tank

Left Side

Middle

Right Side

Clam

Acro

what a nice tank. that bubble coral is the biggest I've seen. Beautiful!
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

It sucks when you have multiple losses.

Glad to hear the corals are all OK.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast