Thread: Beware!!

Beware!!

This is by no means intended as malicious (BA bashing), but you should be aware that BA on-line is charging outrageous prices on goods ordered through their US site. I was in the process of ordering an impeller for my CS skimmer at the US price of $20.99. The agent nformed that the price was $44.99 CDN!! I flipped to say the least. Where are the benefits to our stronger dollar?? This is an outrageous corporate consumer ripoff.

maybe they do this to protect the canadian chains of stores?

does suck though.. but ifyou guy a lot of things probably worth it to drive down and buy it haha

if u have it shipped to a Canadian address (or perhaps using a Canadian credit card too?), they probably transfered ur order to the BA Canadian site... which will account for the increase price.
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

ijo
    I agree with you one this one... the price difference between the 2 sites is HUGE!! I'm pretty sure they moved your order over to the Canadian site.(I'm pretty sure these are the same prices at our local BA stores)

IJO

I woudln't bother with the US website and all the duties and shipping BS that goes with it... You'd be surprised how much merchandise is cheaper on the big als CANADIAN website then what it costs at big als stores in our area.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Best thing to do, is price-match at BA online. As long as you can find any CANADIAN website that sells for less, CALL (dont' bother with email, they never reply) into BA online and u can price-match them plus 5% off. Shipping charges (if any) will be included in calculating the lower price tho.

I've bought from BA Canada online a few times. The good thing for them is they have free shipping over $35 and they do ship fast. For small-ish things, like a replacement sedimentary filter, dry food, it's ok there. Other sites are abit cheaper but most charge shipping or require $100-200 to get free shipping. For any big item purchase in BA online, I always price-match AND then use my free BA credits (got alot from them lol).
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

FYI this isnt something only found at BA website. Just because the dollar is strong doesn't mean that US to Canadian prices should reflect the dollar. The price difference represents about 1.5 exchange which was was what has almost always been the difference between us and canadian consumer goods.

When you look at book prices. US price diff is a lot compared to the Canadian price even with exchange rate taken into play.

It all comes down to us, the consumer. Retail chains have no reason to lower canadian prices to reflect the dollar. At this point, PPP is not consistent in our economy, thus arbitrage could be taken advantage of. If we want to lower the consumer price, bottom line, must purchase out of canada.

The thing is, whos jobs are at stake, who suffers in the end and do you really care?

They also will not allow canadian consumers to purchase out of their country. Protecting both markets. You must purchase within canada, or they will send your order to the canadian site. Same goes with amazon. Amazon.com will not sell to canadian consumers and will be transfered to amazon.ca
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Jim Flaherty agrees that the Canadian consumer should be benefiting by our strong dollar.

Page 16 Ottawa Sun Sat. Aug 4

"Finance Minister Jim Flaherty says Canadians are paying too much for imported goods and is urging business leaders to pass along savngs from the higher Canadain dollar."

I'm not so sure that statement really holds any weight. I won't turn this political but if it goes down that road I'd be more than happy, as I'm sure others will as well, to tear this 'person' to shreds.

It's unfortunate that we still pay so much for imports. Most company's will include their concept of what the dollar comparison is and add a bit extra for the actual 'work' of conversion when shopping in another currency. It never adds up to the fair value but we're subject to what they think our dollar is worth when all is said and done.

If you shop in their currency you get a bit of a break as they only add in an extra shipping charge. Still a bit over charged but then again we are at the mercy of what they think their time is worth.

To top things off most companies only adjust their exchange rate once every few months or even once a year. Banks are a bit more fluid in terms of rates but you still won't get actual market exchange rate from most of them. IMO there's just too much left to interpretation but you have the choice not to import and support your lfs, perhaps over time even driving down local prices.
    You only do what you know because you don't know better.