Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frags tank

Frags tank

I've made two frags tank and I wonder how to control algue, it's connect with all the system, I don't have any problem with algue in the main tank (the fish are doing their job), but in the frags tank i'ts another story.
    Someone can help me, I've got a very good UV Sterilizer and I don't know what kind of fish I can put in and won't jump out.
    Thanks
    150 gal, 77 gal refuge, 36 sump, 2 frags tank 10 gal each, Deltec skimmer AP902, Deltec calcium reactor, precision marine kalkwasser, all in reef and fish, Redsea ozone and Giesemann 72" fixture.

It could be because everything in there is so new. It's good that it's hooked up to the whole system. I'd say just give it some time and it will work it self out.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by mike536 View Post
    It could be because everything in there is so new. It's good that it's hooked up to the whole system. I'd say just give it some time and it will work it self out.
    Forgot to mention it run for more than three month for now, as you can see, it's not new anymore and my setup run for more than two years for now.
    150 gal, 77 gal refuge, 36 sump, 2 frags tank 10 gal each, Deltec skimmer AP902, Deltec calcium reactor, precision marine kalkwasser, all in reef and fish, Redsea ozone and Giesemann 72" fixture.

i agree, as long as there isn't a big detritus trap it should clear up ( with a little help from you or some friends ). you could definitely throw some snails in to help get it going.

out of curiosity what type of lights are running on the main system / frag tanks? and flow?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    out of curiosity what type of lights are running on the main system / frag tanks? and flow?
    The main tank, 2 x 140watt actinic VHO, 2 x 175watts 10000K, 1x 175watts 14000K, Frags tank, 4 x 54 W T5 Workhorse 7 on each tank and in those, I put a 6500k for grow.

ijo
    I would add both hermits and snails to our frag tanks... one thing that helped a lot was to not ut in any fish in the system... this way we did not need to feed our tanks and ended up forcing the critters in there to eat algae(thats all they had)

IJO

I'm not really sure but I but if you added more flow in there as well it would do wonders.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I'm not really sure but I but if you added more flow in there as well it would do wonders.
    The flow is good, one pump for each of them and a maxijet 400 in them for more circulation, there's alway's lot of water movement in them, you can even see the algue moving by the flow, I put some mush in them and I need to tie them because ther moving to much.

Chances are if you put 6500k in your main tank you'd probably have algea there as well. It prefers that wavelength to the more blueish coloration of your main tank. Add some snails and hermits. What are the values for nitrate and phos. in your system?
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Chances are if you put 6500k in your main tank you'd probably have algea there as well. It prefers that wavelength to the more blueish coloration of your main tank. Add some snails and hermits. What are the values for nitrate and phos. in your system?
    Jason
    In the main tank, I don't use 6500k and for the test I'll do them tomorrow, but last time they were still good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast