Thread: Red algae

Red algae

I was just wondering what I could use to get red algae off of my sand bed. My tank has been going for 3 good years, never a problem with it until now. I don't know the name of the algae growing. It is like a red blanket that covers the sand. I take it off with my net but it just keeps on coming back.

Thank you,

Cheers
    125g with 40g sump

might be cyano ... if not then just ignor.. in my nano before i had it using tap water... but when i set up my new tank i use only ro/di water and i havent had that problem..

what i did for the nano before was siphon as much as possible out then just did water changes... i find if you scoop, bits and pieces can still fall out and start growing again... good luck

liv
    not sure how you are setup.. but you might want to also increase the flow in general... it usually helps alot.

ijo
    If your running a nano a good product to use is Poly Filter... its a 4x8 inch piece of pressed filter floss with some agents to help remove phosphates and other contaminations... seems to work great on my wall tank.(cost about $10)

The red algae is known to grow in low flow area's... extra flow will definately help.

IJO

Algae

So, my setup is 125g, I got lots of flow in there(maybe I should put more?). I've been ignoring it for 3 weeks now and it's not getting better. It's very ugly. I've been using R/O since the beginning. I bought 100 hermits on Sunday, I think I was in need of them. Maybe my lights are on to long???
    125g with 40g sump

ijo
    You might also be interested in a phosban reactor and throw some rowaphos or phoslock in it... I've had some great results with it on our coral tanks). I'm pretty sure I have an extra phosban reactor downstairs(I'll be cleaning up and posting many items in our classifieds section this week).

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by CoralReefManiac View Post
    So, my setup is 125g, I got lots of flow in there(maybe I should put more?). I've been ignoring it for 3 weeks now and it's not getting better. It's very ugly. I've been using R/O since the beginning. I bought 100 hermits on Sunday, I think I was in need of them. Maybe my lights are on to long???
    Lots of flow overall doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have dead spots. If it's favoring one area of your tank in particular it's most likely that you have a dead spot in your flow in that area. I had this problem in my 20g nano. The stuff would always grow in one specific area of the sandbed and on one rock and absolutely nothing will eat it. I ended up scooping up the stuff off the sand bed, and using toothbrush to scrub it off the rock, I then tweaked the positioning of my powerheads to give more flow to the area where it was growing. I haven't seen it since. If you don't have any other algae problems just redirecting your flow slightly may be enough to get rid of it.