Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using Dehumidifier water

I was wondering if it is ok to use water from my dehumidifier in my tank? The thing is pulling lots of water out of the air. Instead of waisting it, could I not just throw it in the tank?

there is someone ive talked to on another forum where he does do that with his fish room.... and says never had a problem and hes running a huge tank... 400gal.... but that can also be the reason why there are little effects.

NO NO NO!!!!!!
    I have posted this before in another thread a long time ago! Your dehumidifier coil is made of copper pipe in almoste all dehumidifiers. This copper will leach into your water. And as we all know, your inverts can not handle copper. Also, all of the contaminates which are in the air are also collected in this water. ie.. dust, airfresheners, pet hair, smoke etc..... You may as well go get water from the ottawa river lol. My suggestion is to buy an ro-di unit or distilled water from a trusted source. Heck even tap water would probably be better! IMO

Yah, I don't get how there's actually quite afew people who swear by using their dehumidifer water. The copper, aluminum, and welds done with silver rods just doesn't make sense to me how any livestock stays alive... Every bit of the water is sweating right off of these metal components.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    ya.. absolutely not a good idea.... unless he has an titanium dehumidifyer that is rated to do this... and even then, all the dust and bacteria it picks up in the air.. not sure its a good idea at all.. leaching that stuff in your tank with at a much heavier concentration. Anything with true titanium costs an arm and a leg these days.. prices have almost 10x in the last few years.
    Think about pollen season with that yellow dust from pine trees.. mmmm yellow water.

So.. it would need to be all titanium, and have filters after it to remove all dusts etc.

I'm not advocating using the water from a dehumidifier, but how is the crap it pickes up from the air any different from the crap that falls into my tank from the air, gets pushed around by my cooling fans or injected by one of the air pumps driving the skimmer?

I personally would never use the dehumidifier water, but if you really want to know get out the usual metal test kits & find out what's in the water. You *might* have to turn it into salt water before the test kit will work, but give it a go & see.

You might also toss a bit of polyfilter in for a couple days to see what colour it turns. (Think week minimum. Unless you're pumping the water through it, it doesn't react as quickly).

And on the guy diluting it into his 400G tank, what kind of chemical filtration does he routinely use?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

im not sure....

i remember reading a thread on ovas, it was jimskoi that made that post a while back...

If you don't want to waste it I would use it to water the plants. Considering the price of fish and rocks vs the cost of a little water I wouldn't risk it in the tank. I have seen a tank that was treated with copper (accidently) and to this day copper still leaches out to detectable levels. Eventually the metals from the dehumidifier coil will build up to high enough levels to be fatal.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I figured so much. I will keep on using water from my rodi uit then.

i went looking for the old thread, it must have got lost in the abyss of 07 :b15:

glad to hear everyone has kept you on the right track
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast