Regal keeps getting stuck to powerhead???

For the last week my Regal tang has got himself stuck to the powerhead 5 times...he is eating lots, swimming fine, he's picking algea off rocks and has no real sign of sickness.

Each time I unplug the powerhead and he will just swim away like nothing happened.

Anyone have any idea on what I should do or have they had the same thing?

What kind of powerhead, and size is it exactly? Is there any kind of screening? or is the intake wide open? Do you have nori available on a food clip?
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Hey Wendi if you want I can come over and check out your setup. I haven't seen your tank or you for that matter for quite some time =)

I would say that if a tang (who are great swimmers) is gettting stuck to your powerhead hes not in the greatest shape. My regal can swim head on into the output of a modded Tunze 6025 and pick algae off it no problem, i don't see how if healthy he would ever get stuck to anything.

does this happen while the lights are on or off? My regal tang goes to sleep / into hidding as soon as the lights go off and stays there as long as they remain off. It plays dead while squeezed between some rocks.

Just curious to know...
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)
    Coming Soon - 120g with more stuff

liv
    Hi,
    You should screen your powerheads so this can't happen again.
    We also do not know the size of your fish, if its tiny, he might not be that strong to begin with.

Screening your powerheads will fix that prob and potentional loss of other fish/inverts etc from happening. We always hear about the all too common false perc got sucked up by the powerhead and shredded / fed to tankmates.. pretty horrible way to die.

thanks for all the replies..could someone send me a photo or link showing me a screened powerhead??

The fish is medium..he has only done it when the lights are on...from what I noticed

The powerhead is a maxijet 1200..I have 3 of them in my 75 gallon

I have a screen I installed on a powersweep in the first picture in the below thread.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11940

This powerhead is throwing a good 2000 gallons an hour. This screen fits perfectly underneath. It's the similar screen on many intakes of powerfilters.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse