Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toronto Trip September 28-30.

Anita, Lily, and I are making a trip to Toronto around a visit with my uncle (the one who gave me the recently replaced 90 gal tank 22 years ago) and his family and his first trip with his son to Reef Raft. We're leaving two days early so that Anita can go to some breast feeding protest/awareness/action and to visit with a friend in Toronto.

So...the reason for this thread...we're going to Reef Raft. We could pick up and haul back material from Reef Raft and might possibly be convinced to make one or more other stops if they are close to the 401 or 427 where we will be on Sunday for very reasonable terms. I'm driving my truck up so there will be a fair amount of room to pick up material.

If you're interested, please PM or email me.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Not to hijack your thread, but who would want to protest breastfeeding? Just curious.
    Jason

Sorry, as for the reason for your trip to reef raft..... The website always says they are out of stock of everything. I hope you don't make a visit for nothing.
    Good hunting
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Sorry, as for the reason for your trip to reef raft..... The website always says they are out of stock of everything. I hope you don't make a visit for nothing.Jason
    They're not protecting breast feeding but the government's recent elimination of all subsidies to breast feeding clinics. They want women to breast feed because it is by far the best food for babies and the numbers of women who are doing it and the length of time they do is are still WAY too low and then the show how much the want to change things by removing all funding.

Politicians. Can't live with them. Can't grind them up and feed them to our fish.

The Reef Raft website always says they are out of stock because they never update it. They always have lots of amazing stock. Some really rare stuff that is over priced. Other stuff that it pretty good. The advertise on one of the other aquarium forums with lots of pictures each week.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

AS for the breastfeeding, that makes more sense.
    As for reef raft, well they should update their site. That way you would know if you're wasting your time goign there or not. I was aware of the types of peices they used to get and the exorbitant prices they charge.
    Good luck anyways.
    Jason
    ps. what site do they advertise on. I'd like to see some of their recent stuff.

As for reef raft, well they should update their site. That way you would know if you're wasting your time goign there or not.
    Yup. It's tough, though, to make the commitment to making that many changes to your website. If you get in 100 pieces that means taking photos and creating 100 items on the webpage. I think they should just put up representative photos and tell people to come in and shop.

I was aware of the types of peices they used to get and the exorbitant prices they charge. Good luck anyways.
    Thanks. We're going tire kicking. If we find something nice it is worthwhile to buy it, frag it, and share the cost. They sometimes have amazing stuff but they make you pay for it. The kinds of things that I'm looking for (zoos, mushrooms, etc) are reasonably priced because they are common.

ps. what site do they advertise on. I'd like to see some of their recent stuff.
    I PMed you with a link.

Hank.

it might be worth a drive to the ORG ( Oakville Reef Gallery ) they have lots of hard to get corals. they are not cheap but have very nice corals and the owners are very knowledgeable and just super nice guys ( yeah I'm sucking up ). it is about 20 - 30 min highway travel from the 427 but only a minute or two from the highway.

this would allow you a chance to see the BA's here as well ( just across the road ), unfortunately i think one of the mangers killed the reef sharks by accident, but an impressive large round tank none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by carrhd View Post
    I'm driving my truck up so there will be a fair amount of room to pick up material.
    just for further reference we be down not up :b13:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

PS: if you do come all the way to oakville, you may be able to do a pick up order from wicked frags too but i may be speaking out of turn, just something to think about.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

You can also come by just to browse and see the tank. I should be around, and am about 10 minutes from ORG.

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    PS: if you do come all the way to oakville, you may be able to do a pick up order from wicked frags too but i may be speaking out of turn, just something to think about.

If you are at ReefRaft there is a BigAl's down the street, DragonAquarium (sometimes have unusual, expensive fish at a good price), Where's The Reef is just around the corner. North of Toronto is SeaUMarine, usually a great place for fish, okay for coral, and on the east end is NAFB (North American Fish Breeders) they usually sell all corals for $40, except for their new Aussie shipments.

All of these stores can have some really good stuff if a shipment has come in recently. The problem with TO is that guys actually line up before a store opens the day after a shipment and some of them have deep pockets to buy all the Really Really nice stuff. Luckily the leave some okay stuff behind.

Just make sure to call each store for hours the day you plan on going. I have found the stores closed during there posted hours more then once.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast