Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copepod colony

Cool Copepod colony

I wonder if any of you guys ever heard about Aquacultured Copepods?? I've found a site that sells a bottle that contains a colony of a 1000 of 3 species.

If anyone ever tried it or tries it, tell me about it, I will be getting some for my Green Mandarin, to make sure he always has some food floating or lurking about . Trying to get him acclimated to Mysis shrimp, but it's not looking good , oh well, I'm a keep trying, the damn hermits eat it before him lol.

Here is the link.... www.oceanpods.com :b14:

I wrote to the lady and found out that for shipping to Eastern Canada it's 45$ priority.

The only viable way to keep a mandarin going is to have a larger mature tank with an active fuge. This combination will be able to produce the pods on an ongoing basis and keep up with the mandarins needs. Buying them as you have found is very expensive.

How big is your tank?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    I agree with Rob, feeding them other then from the tank directly will cost you an arm/leg. if your tank is mature enough and big enough you should be able to maintain one or 2 just fine.. I had some in my previous tank for over a year. They were nice and fat.

I'm looking for a pair right now as I believe i'm ready for them. looking at night wiht a flashlight, i'm infested with pods. he he he.

Sylvain, from our last chat, your 30g could possibly handle these guys.. but not right away.. give it at least 6months to a year. with lots of live rock so that colonies of pods may thrive.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv
    the smaller the system, the more time it will take for a big enough population to exist to feed these guys. also, you might want to look at building a refugium, add cheato and more live rock in there.. this will help in the feeding.

Hey Rob, I understand the maturing part of the tank, but the reason for getting them is to boost it artificially so when I get it in the tank, there will be a supply already and multiplying itself.

Also Olivier, do you know if it's possible to get a hang on refuge that would go behind my tank and be lets say 30 inches long and 8 to 10 inches deep and maybe 8 to 10 inches wide?? I could probly DIY my self, but I dont have the acrylic and glue for it :S. or are the dimensions too small to mather??
    The reason for a hang on is the lack of space available, also the reason why I did a 30 Gallon instead of my 75.

Thanks

Sylvain

Quote Originally Posted by Slyman View Post
    Hey Rob, I understand the maturing part of the tank, but the reason for getting them is to boost it artificially so when I get it in the tank, there will be a supply already and multiplying itself.
    Adding some live rock, cheato, coral, etc to the tank will introduce pods to the tank. A previous member on this board even had them re hyrdrate from a piece of dried liverock in a "sterile" setup. Basically you will get them and all they do is eat and breed so you will get more.

Personally a few months of patience will give you a better result then a really expensive bottle of pods.

do you know if it's possible to get a hang on refuge that would go behind my tank and be lets say 30 inches long and 8 to 10 inches deep and maybe 8 to 10 inches wide?? I could probly DIY my self, but I dont have the acrylic and glue for it
    If you want hang on there are several available models not sure of the sizes. DIY is a great option of I am sure there are several very handy people on this board that could be convinced to build one for you. The other option is I have seen many of the large hang on filters converted to be a fuge as well.

or are the dimensions too small to mather??
    I'm of the beleif that bigger is better but some is better then none
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    exactly.. that refugium even if not that big would still help alot. not only providing more room for pods but a nice place to grow some algea that will help with the filtration.
    I also agree with the pods in the bottle thing, either way, your tank needs to be mature enough to contain such life. it needs to cycle first.. so keeping most fish within the first month or so is not advised.

the mandarin is a very perculiar fish that needs specific needs. *( not like a yellow tang lets say who will eat anything thrown in the tank). picky picky picky... so proper clean enviroment and low stress are a must for these guys.

read up on them online, search for mandarin gobies.

my last tank was a 130g and I think i got them when the tank was almost 1 year old.. and I still kind of felt guilty as I didn't know if my pod population was enough.

this is one of those things where you gotta give it time.
    this is a slow pace hobby.

ijo
    Have to agree with this aswell... you pretty much 'need' a refugium to make sure your mandarin has a constant food supply. They can clean a tank out in weeks.

IJO

You can add a little pile of rock rubble to the tank and they will breed in there there was a thread somewhere that explained how to make these little portable pod hatchery I'm not sure the material he used but you could use some netting and fill it with rubble and then when the pod pop dies back(and it will) you can throw it back in the sump and it will re populate or there is always running a separate tank for growning your pods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast