Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intruder I.D. Assistance Please

Just noticed this little guy today. Has really small claws (cant see them in the pic but they're a fluorescent yellow. Has a long snout on it's head kind of like a weavil. Not sure but I'm thinking its a decorator/spider crab of some sort. Was going to remove him but he's dissapeared.

Any other thoughts as to what he might be? Really blends in well so I outlined him, you can see the little black eye on the side of his head.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

Quote Originally Posted by reefgeek110 View Post
    Just noticed this little guy today. Has really small claws (cant see them in the pic but they're a fluorescent yellow. Has a long snout on it's head kind of like a weavil. Not sure but I'm thinking its a decorator/spider crab of some sort. Was going to remove him but he's dissapeared.

Any other thoughts as to what he might be? Really blends in well so I outlined him, you can see the little black eye on the side of his head.
    HEY..i just saw one of these guys on a rock last night! Went for a night snorkel. Freaky.....shrimp all over the place. and little feeder fish were bashing into my light. Could have scooped up tons of shrimp that night.

Was I scared that sharks might eat me, cause they come in to teh shallows at night to feed ?..HELL YA!!! But I had about 10 ounces of booze in an hour, so I was full of courage LOL.

But I saw that exact same "crab" on a rock, much bigger of course. At first I couldn't tell what the heck it was. It's antenna's stick out of a slit at the front of his "carpace" or whatever you want to call it.

I still don't know what it was, so lets just call it the wierd blanket shelled crab for now 8).
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

ijo
    Its tough to tell... is that one of his eyes(black) we see on the pic? Red is a definite sign that its bad news. If the end of his claws is spoon shaped... chances are its a good crab. A good rule to go by is if it was free(hitched) there is a big chance its not good(from my experience). I would try and get him out to snap a better shot and get a positive ID.(last month I had to remove an emerald crab from my setup as he had a soft spot for digitata.. lol)

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    Its tough to tell... is that one of his eyes(black) we see on the pic? Red is a definite sign that its bad news. If the end of his claws is spoon shaped... chances are its a good crab. A good rule to go by is if it was free(hitched) there is a big chance its not good(from my experience). I would try and get him out to snap a better shot and get a positive ID.(last month I had to remove an emerald crab from my setup as he had a soft spot for digitata.. lol)

IJO
    So IJO, when you coming down man. Come on, lets get together and go look at some fishes.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

Well the little guy made another appearance again...lets just say he didn't quite want to let go and I ended up tearing two legs off and his snout-like appendage...funny thing is he still ran so I'm not quite sure if hes still alive or not. At this point though I'm pretty sure one of my brittle stars will track him down and finish the job. Thanks for the replys. On a side note I know I also have a black emerald in there but he's super elusive and cautious. Supposedly they are not good either but Im hoping he turns out peacfull cause I dont feel like tearing the tank apart for some crrab that so far hasn't caused any problems.

My Tank

On a side note I know I also have a black emerald in there but he's super elusive and cautious. Supposedly they are not good either but Im hoping he turns out peacfull cause I dont feel like tearing the tank apart for some crrab that so far hasn't caused any problems.
    I wouldn't wait to start getting him out. For crabs they can be trapped sometimes easily without ripping the tank apart. Try dropping a raw shrimp into a mason jar and then lean the jar up against the rocks around lights out. The idea is that the crab goes after the shrimp slides into the jar and can't climb up the slippery sides. You can always through him in the fuge where he won't hurt fish/corals.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    I wouldn't wait to start getting him out. For crabs they can be trapped sometimes easily without ripping the tank apart. Try dropping a raw shrimp into a mason jar and then lean the jar up against the rocks around lights out. The idea is that the crab goes after the shrimp slides into the jar and can't climb up the slippery sides. You can always through him in the fuge where he won't hurt fish/corals.
    Thanks ShipWreck, sounds like a good idead for a crab trap and so much simpler than trying to grab him with tongs. Those little crabs can be speedy buggers! I'll try this once I get my refugium set up. Need to do some furniture rearanging first. It's funny though because I inspected everything when set this tank up and when adding new corals and rocks, yet I still manage to overlook several different creatures. oh well tis the fun of the hobby, no?

My Tank

It's funny though because I inspected everything when set this tank up and when adding new corals and rocks, yet I still manage to overlook several different creatures. oh well tis the fun of the hobby, no?
    that is it for sure, you will be finding new stuff for a long time to come. lots of hitch hikers come in very small and appear over time.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    that is it for sure, you will be finding new stuff for a long time to come. lots of hitch hikers come in very small and appear over time.
    guess what... that little bugger whose limbs I tore off is still kickin! The little guy is a survivor. I clearly removed two legs and the head/snout piece with my tongs last time I saw him in my attempt to grab him. Tried to catch him today but hes learning to beware the tongs lol !

My Tank

Ive never heard of a black emerald crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast