Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby corals in your tank?

After reading the link posted by percula99 on coral reproduction I got curious.

Has anyone else ever had "baby" corals appear out of nowhere like I have. Mine I think is a small clear tentacled, green tipped Euphyllia (torch) coral, there's actually two of them and they both appeared in my small 40gallon tank around a year ago. They are now about the size of a twoonie and growing fast in my 110. The only problem I have in justifying that they came from my large Euphyllia is that it's red with white tips and they obviously are not.
    http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...TorchCoral.jpg

If you have had a similar experience please post as my curiousity has been stirred.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

That looks like a Majano Anemone to me, not a torch coral. Especially if it came out of no where. I have had a few of them pop up in my tank as well, but I removed them all.
    75g reeftank/38g sump. 8g nano.

I also belive the torch has a hard squeletton.
    Seems like a pest anemone to me too.
    How does it react if you touch it?
    10gal. Freshwater "Guppies"
    37gal Oceanic Saltwater Reef (in the work)
    125gal. Saltwater "Reef" (Shared tank with my dad...lol)

Thing is this guy has a hard skeleton and is thusly fixed in place. the reason I think its a torch of some sort is that ive seen frogspawn bud off in order to reproduce and figured that a torch could do the same seeing how they are related corals. I'm 99 percent sure this isn't an anemone of any sort. When disturbed it retracts into the skeleton much like a pestered torch will, revealing the thin walled skeleton exactly like that of the torch coral.
    Any other suggestions?
    I'll see if I can get a pic of it retracted so that the skeleton becomes apparent.

My Tank

It's a euphillia. I had one appear just like that. Started as a green dot and just continued to grow. At one point it had over 60 heads. It has been fragged so many times I can't even begin to count. Still going strong almost 10 years later. I also had a goni that came in on some live rock that just started from nothing. Now almost 6 years later it is still one of my faves.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    It's a euphillia. I had one appear just like that. Started as a green dot and just continued to grow. At one point it had over 60 heads. It has been fragged so many times I can't even begin to count. Still going strong almost 10 years later. I also had a goni that came in on some live rock that just started from nothing. Now almost 6 years later it is still one of my faves.
    Jason
    Now thats what I was hoping to hear! Hopefully mine starts on a growth rate similar to yours, would be fun to be able to frag it as it grows.

On a side note, I'm sure most people have had this happen but I've also got feathered caulpera and serated caulpera as well as maidens hair macro algaes that popped up out of nowhere (now moved to the new 30gal refugium) and yes I have heard of the dangers of caulpera, I will take my chances and keep it pruned.

My Tank

Quote Originally Posted by reefgeek110 View Post
    Thing is this guy has a hard skeleton and is thusly fixed in place. the reason I think its a torch of some sort is that ive seen frogspawn bud off in order to reproduce and figured that a torch could do the same seeing how they are related corals. I'm 99 percent sure this isn't an anemone of any sort. When disturbed it retracts into the skeleton much like a pestered torch will, revealing the thin walled skeleton exactly like that of the torch coral.
    Any other suggestions?
    I'll see if I can get a pic of it retracted so that the skeleton becomes apparent.
    It is entirely possible that it is a torch, they can come in on the LR and be so tiny that you don't notice them till a month or more later. I was only saying that more times than not, they are pest anemones, and in the beginning it can be hard to distinguish the 2 so just keep an eye on it. If it has a skeleton that is clearly visible, then it probably is a torch.

ijo
    It definitely looks like a small torch in the picture... I've heard LPS heads melting to reproduce but thats pretty much it(other than the obvious splitting and forced breaks)

IJO

Here is a pic of my pest Majano for comparison.

I've had pocillipora grow in all sorts of places in my tank. I've had some grow on powerheads, & the sides of a big clam, there was even some on the front of my glass which I eventually cleaned off.

I assume it was polyp bail out and reattatchment that caused it and not a sexual event. I've also got a favia which grows protrusions, and drops clones every year or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast