Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ReefCrew shipment arrived today!

I received my first order from ReefCrew today. I got some phytoplankton, rotifers, a bottle of phyto fertilizer and best of all - LIVE COPEPODS! Very alive too, they're small but I could easily see them moving about in their jittery motions. I acclimated the copepods and poured them directly into my refugium.

The phytoplankton was very impressive. Really nice and dense, quite a bit darker than my own cultures. I decided to start a new culture bottle with it so that it would come ripe in the middle of week while my previous bottles come ripe on the weekend. This will give me more flexibility with feeding. The rotifers I screened and fed half to the tank and half to the refugium. Rotifers are even smaller than copepods but I could tell by the amount on the screen that they were from a nice dense culture.

Reef Crew is supposed to be selling live mysis shrimp in the spring. That's something I will definitely be ordering. I used to have swarms of these all throughout my system but the hurricane all but decimated their populations. Now I am lucky to see one here or there, even in the refugium.

It was fun getting this order in today, everything was very well packaged and the products were clean and obviously high quality. I really feel that it will benefit my tank, not just now but long term.
    Susan

Good to hear Susan, was wondering about them. It's a good idea if the products are high quality and the densities are good.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

flame angel.

Are you cosidering growing your own pods as well? how many types of phyto do you grow?
    Hey FISHYSAN, did the meeting give ya a boost! Havn't seen ya post this much for some time. Nice to see your back. How is your wife? hopefully she's feeling a lot better.I picked up a CARBERRY ANTHIA also known as a THREADFIN. very nice and active.

So what happens now for the rest of us who said we wanted some of those bugs?
    Sean,
    Yeah I agree with John, it's good to see you back on.

ijo
    Greg... unfortunately Reefcrew had given another board access to these before the rest of Canada(not happy about this). Even though it was out of AC's hands... I've decided to drop the price from $45 to $40 for this shipment only. Your on the list and we should get them here on the 11th or 12th. Hang in there.

IJO

O.k.... I'll try!!!

ijo
    Good news... ReefCrew has contacted me and will ship the pods tomorrow for a Friday delivery!!! Thanks ReefCrew! I Will contact you all as soon as they arrive.

IJO

Right now all I'm really culturing is Nannochloropsis phyto. I shut down my rotifers and baby brine shrimp because they feed aiptasia too much. My new copperband is still too small to be an effective aiptasia slayer.

In my little critter refugium there are many things breeding but it's not controlled - mysis shrimp, amphipods, bristle worms, spaghetti worms, copepods, etc. I lost a lot of pods in the power outage after the hurricane in early April but they're making a comeback now. The trick with keeping these things going is slow flow and tons of food. The more you feed the more you'll have. The more you have the more will get flushed into the main tank.
    Susan

What turnover are you using in the erfugium?
    Nick

I just have a Maxijet 900 in the tank that feeds the refugium on one end. Then there's a small bulkhead and some pvc on the other end that goes back to the tank. Seems to work quite well.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast