Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question attaching coral frags

i traded an unused powerhead of mine with someone for frags. i got two yellow monti frags, a xena elongata, and some red mushrooms and green stripe mushrooms. what is the best way of getting these guys to attach to my rocks? should i just stick them into my rock and hope they attach themselves soon? or do i need to glue them in somehow?
    and as far as reproducing, how to mushrooms and polyps reproduce? will they eventually split on their own and spread to nearby rocks? or do they need to be actively propogates by cutting them and such?
    Albert
    My Photos

The hard stony types can easily be lodged into any crevice. If the tank is doing good for the corals, they will spread and attach themselves rather quickly. As for the softie types, they will usually split/seperate/multiply on their own.
    You can also glue down the stony corals if you don't want them knocked over by snails, etc... Use crazy glue or any type of glue that specifies it is "Cyanoacrylate" based. It is as I said, usually the crazy glue types that fit this description. The one I always use that you can find at Walmart, Home depot, etc... Is Quicktite Gel made by Loctite.

can i glue it underwater? or do i have to remove the rock before glueing? (in other words, can i just put the glue on the base and then stick it to a rock in my tank? or would that not work?)
    Albert
    My Photos

I use crazy glue Gel for all my SPS corals...for xenia...just wrap an elastic around the piece of rock and around the xenia piece. I do the same with mushrooms. Also for mushrooms...place a deep container with pieces of LR in it. Place the mushroom frags in teh cup and place it in the aquarium. The cup is to eliminate the current. Within a short time, the mushrooms will attach to a piece of rock in the cup.

Good Luck....

Oh yes...xenia and mushrooms will split and spread on their own. The montipora frags will branch out and when they are larger, just frag pieces off. The bases of the montipora frag will spread and new branches will grow out around the base eventually too...

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

alrha

Find a little nook on the rock were you want your frag,fill said nook with a little gloop of glue[stick your hands with the tube and all right into the tank], take the frag and gentle moosh it into the gloop of glue making sure you break the skin that has formed, hold for around 30 seconds and you should be good to go. Sometimes it takes a little practise for you to get it. ZAP gel works as well.[more glue for your dolllar]

for frags like xenia or green tree, soft with a stem, i push a tooth pick through the base and use elastics to hold the tooth pick to the rock. after a week or so remove the elastic and toothpick.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

i like the cup idea (scared to use glue, and dont see how a rubberband will hold it)
    Albert
    My Photos

I use the the Loctite gel glue from Walmart. I haven't tried applying the glue underwater. I usually will find a small piece of LR and glue the frag to it. I have done this with mushrooms, polyps, and a tree coral.
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

ok, well i can find my xenia now. must have drifted off somewhere. (i guess i should have used glue).
    Albert
    My Photos

glue is no good for xenia and slimy stuff.[toothpicks&elastics work]. Don't be scared to use the LOCTITE or ZAPGEL superglues. They do nothi ng to harm your tank. The corals will encrust right over the glue so they must know its A okay.I use it all the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast