Removing Eheim 2217 ?

I have a 125 reef over 120 lbs fiji rock / 3" DSB and am curently setting up a 40 gal sump. It will be put inline today sometime.
    1 1/2 " overflow ( 800 gph ?) and a 3/4" mag12 for a return with a ball valve inline to equal flow. there is also a Maxi 900 and well as a powerhead 802 running
    Question is Should I remove the Canaster Eheim 2217 ?
    Any pros or cons in doing so?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I would remove it slowly. As removing it entirely would represent a big shock to the bio-system.

Being that it is a canister-type filter, you probably have some type of ceramic/bio material in there. Over the course of several weeks, remove some of it until it is completely gone. Same goes for the sponges in there. If it's anything like a fluval, you have 2 sponges in there. Remove one, then remove the other over the course of several weeks.

Keep the canister filter for running carbon if you ever need to. That's the best use for it.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

What about moving it down to the sump for now Just to get it out of the main tank? Will that also help to seed the sump? As the sump matures start removing some of the bio material in the canister.Once empty I could keep it running in the sump/Refugium for a little extra flow and future carbon(when needed) or will it make no differance there.(Just a waste of hydro)